Quetiapine (Greater Than 150 mg)/Strong CYP3A4 Inducers Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Apalutamide, barbiturates, carbamazepine, enzalutamide, fosphenytoin, lumacaftor, mitotane, natisedine, phenytoin, primidone, rifampin, rifapentine and St. John's Wort speed up how quickly your liver processes quetiapine.
What might happen:
The amount of quetiapine in your blood may decrease and it may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together and let your doctor know if you notice any change in your condition.If you are taking quetiapine, your doctor may want to change your quetiapine dose so that it will be effective while you are also taking the interacting medicine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Seroquel (quetiapine) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP August, 2019.
- 2.US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Drug Development and Drug Interactions: Table of Substrates, Inhibitors and Inducers. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-interactions-labeling/drug-development-and- drug-interactions-table-substrates-inhibitors-and-inducers. Updated 11/14/2017.
- 3.This information is based on or an extract from the UW Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright University of Washington 1999-2019..
- 4.Grimm SW, Richtand NM, Winter HR, Stams KR, Reele SB. Effects of cytochrome P450 3A modulators ketoconazole and carbamazepine on quetiapine pharmacokinetics. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006 Jan;61(1):58-69.
- 5.Nickl-Jockschat T, Paulzen M, Schneider F, Grozinger M. Drug interaction can lead to undetectable serum concentrations of quetiapine in the presence of carbamazepine. Clin Neuropharmacol 2009 Jan-Feb;32(1):55.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.