Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Asia Images Group / Getty, PhotoAlto / Ale Ventura, Thomas Tolstrup / Photographer's Choice
2) Hemera / Getty
3) Kat-Ka / Getty Images
4) Steve Pomberg / WebMD
5) Steve Pomberg / WebMD
6) Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD, Keith Brofsky / Thinkstock
7) Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD, Maggie Murray / Photolibrary
8) Steve Pomberg / WebMD, Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD
9) Steve Pomberg / WebMD, Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD
10) Don Farrall / Photolibrary
11) Philippe Garo / Photo Researchers, Inc.
12) sodapix / Photolibrary
13) ERproductions Ltd / Blend Images
14) PHANIE / Photo Researchers, Inc.
15) Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD
16) Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD
17) Peggy Firth and Susan Gilbert, CMI, for WebMD
18) Cordelia Molloy / Photo Researchers, Inc.
19) Jetta Productions / Walter Hodges / Photolibrary
20) George Diebold / Getty
21) iStockphoto / Thinkstock
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
American Pregnancy Association.
HRA Pharma briefing document, June 17, 2010, meeting of Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs.
Jones R. Contraception,June 2009.
FDA briefing document, June 17, 2010, meeting of Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs.
Keoniger-Donohue, R. Women's Health Care: A Practical Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 2006.
Lannon B.V. Fertility and Sterility, August 2007.
National Women's Health Information Center.
National Women’s Health Network: “Fact Sheet: Phexxi Contraceptive Gel.”
Hatcher, R. A. et al., eds. Contraceptive Technology, 19th ed. New York: Ardent Media, 2007.
Speroff, L., Darney, P.D. A Clinical Guide for Contraception. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005.
The Nemours Foundation.
Reviewed by Traci C. Johnson, MD on May 06, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.