This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known.
What might happen:
You may experience an irregular heartbeat that may be life threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Munson ES, Tucker WK. Doses of epinephrine causing arrhythmia during enflurane, methoxyflurane and halothane anaesthesia in dogs. Can Anaesth Soc J 1975 Jul;22(4):495-501.
- 2.Richards W, Thompson J, Lewis G, Levy DS, Church JA. Cardiac arrest associated with halothane anesthesia in a patient receiving theophylline. Ann Allergy 1988 Aug;61(2):83-4.
- 3.Bedger RC Jr, Chang JL, Larson CE, Bleyaert AL. Case report: increased myocardial irritability with halothane and aminophylline. Anesth Prog 1980 Jan-Feb;27(1):34-6.
- 4.Roizen MF, Stevens WC. Multiform ventricular tachycardia due to the interaction of aminophylline and halothane. Anesth Analg 1978 Nov-Dec; 57(6):738-41.
- 5.Stirt JA, Berger JM, Ricker SM, Sullivan SF. Arrhythmogenic effects of aminophylline during halothane anesthesia in experimental animals. Anesth Analg 1980 Jun;59(6):410-6.
- 6.Stirt JA, Berger JM, Roe SD, Ricker SM, Sullivan SF. Halothane-induced cardiac arrhythmias following administration of aminophylline in experimental animals. Anesth Analg 1981 Jul;60(7):517-20.
- 7.Nakatsu K, Loomis CW. Postanesthetic theophylline elimination. Anesth Analg 1986 Apr;65(4):423.
- 8.Nicholls EA, Louie GL, Prokocimer PG, Maze M. Halothane anesthetic requirements are not affected by aminophylline treatment in rats and dogs. Anesthesiology 1986 Dec;65(6):637-41.
- 9.Zimmerman BL. Arrhythmogenicity of theophylline and halothane used in combination. Anesth Analg 1979 May-Jun;58(3):259-60.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.