Efavirenz/QT Prolonging Agents Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Efavirenz can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
Taking efavirenz with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g doctor or pharmacist) about taking these medications together. Let your doctor know right away if you notice an irregular heartbeat or have dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Sustiva (efavirenz) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company October, 2017.
- 2.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 3.Abdelhady AM, Shugg T, Thong N, Lu JB, Kreutz Y, Jaynes HA, Robarge JD, Tisdale JE, Desta Z, Overholser BR. Efavirenz Inhibits the Human Ether-A-Go-Go Related Current (hERG) and Induces QT Interval Prolongation in CYP2B6*6*6 Allele Carriers. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2016 Jun 23.
- 4.Tibotec Pharmaceuticals. A Phase I, double-blind, double-dummy, randomized, placebo controlled and active controlled trial to evaluate the effect of TMC278 25 mg q.d. at steady-state and the effect of efavirenz (EFV) 600 mg q.d. at steady-state on the QT/QTc interval. Accessed at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00744809 February, 2010.
- 5.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.