Erythromycin; Telithromycin/Selected QT Prolonging Agents Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your antibiotic can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
Taking your antibiotic with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to perform an electrocardiogram (ECG) on you to check your heart's rhythm. Let your doctor know right away if you notice an irregular heartbeat or have any dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 2.Uroxatral (alfuzosin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. May, 2013.
- 3.Apokyn (apomorphine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Tercica, Inc. July, 2010.
- 4.Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol fumarate) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation September, 2012.
- 5.Tequin (gatifloxacin) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company January, 2006.
- 6.Factive (gemifloxacin mesylate) US prescribing information. Merus Labs International, Inc. May, 2016.
- 7.NegGram (nalidixic acid) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. November, 2012.
- 8.Noroxin (norfloxacin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. July, 2016.
- 9.Votrient (pazopanib) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline May, 2017.
- 10.Noxafil (posaconazole) UK summary of product characteristics. Schering-Plough Ltd. February 2, 2006.
- 11.Edurant (rilpivirine) US prescribing information. Tibotec Pharmaceuticals February 1, 2018.
- 12.Ultane (sevoflurane) US prescribing information. AbbVie, Inc. February, 2014.
- 13.Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) US prescribing information. Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc. January, 2017.
- 14.USFood and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Revised recommendations for Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) related to a potential risk of abnormal heart rhythms with high doses. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm297391.htm March 28, 2012.
- 15.Health Canada. Antidepressant Cipralex (escitalopram): Updated information regarding dose-related heart risk. Available at: http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2012/136 74a-eng.php May 7, 2012.
- 16.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) Canadian prescribing information. Lundbeck August 13, 2012.
- 17.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) UK summary of product characteristics. Lunbeck Limited September 14, 2012.
- 18.Gilenya (fingolimod) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation May, 2018.
- 19.MHRA United Kingdom. Fingolimod (Gilenya): transient bradycardias and heart block after first dose - strengthened cardiovascular monitoring. Drug Safety Update Feb 2012;5(7):A1.
- 20.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation July, 2017.
- 21.Ciproxin (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc April 13, 2010.
- 22.Primovist (gadoxetate disodium) Australian prescribing information. Schering-Plough Corporation November 1, 2005.
- 23.Primovist (gadoxetic acid) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc May 1, 2008.
- 24.Istodax (romidepsin) US prescribing information. Celgene Corporation June, 2013.
- 25.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.