Triazolam/Selected Strong CYP3A4 Inhibitors Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your medicine may slow down how quickly your liver processes triazolam.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of triazolam may increase and cause harmful effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know right away that you are taking these medicines together. Contact your doctor if you experience decreased coordination, excessive drowsiness, confusion, slurred speech, or difficulty breathing.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Halcion (triazolam) US prescribing information. Pharmacia & Upjohn Company October, 2019.
- 2.Greenblatt DJ, von Moltke LL, Harmatz JS, Counihan M, Graf JA, Durol AL, Mertzanis P, Duan SX, Wright CE, Shader RI. Inhibition of triazolam clearance by macrolide antimicrobial agents: in vitro correlates and dynamic consequences. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998 Sep;64(3):278-85.
- 3.Neuvonen PJ, Varhe A, Olkkola KT. The effect of ingestion time interval on the interaction between itraconazole and triazolam. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1996 Sep;60(3):326-31.
- 4.Varhe A, Olkkola KT, Neuvonen PJ. Oral triazolam is potentially hazardous to patients receiving systemic antimycotics ketoconazole or itraconazole. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1994 Dec;56(6 Pt 1):601-7.
- 5.This information is based on or an extract from the UW Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright University of Washington 1999-2019..
- 6.Greenblatt DJ, Wright CE, von Moltke LL, Harmatz JS, Ehrenberg BL, Harrel LM, Corbett K, Counihan M, Tobias S, Shader RI. Ketoconazole inhibition of triazolam and alprazolam clearance: differential kinetic and dynamic consequences. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998 Sep;64(3):237-47.
- 7.Warot D, Bergougnan L, Lamiable D, Berlin I, Bensimon G, Danjou P, Puech AJ. Troleandomycin-triazolam interaction in healthy volunteers: pharmacokinetic and psychometric evaluation. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1987; 32(4):389-93.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.