This medication is used with antibiotics and/or surgery to treat types of bladder infections that are caused by certain bacteria. These bacteria cause the level of ammonia in the urine to become too high. This effect can lead to a certain type of kidney stone (struvite). This medication works by stopping the bacteria from making the ammonia. The decreased levels of ammonia can slow the growth of the kidney stones and make the antibiotic work better on your infection.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start using acetohydroxamic acid and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day.
Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fast/pounding heartbeat, unusual tiredness, weakness, dark urine, mental/mood changes (e.g., nervousness, depression), shaking (tremor).
Tell your doctor right away if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs, easy bruising/bleeding, signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat).
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before taking acetohydroxamic acid, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this medication because alcohol with acetohydroxamic acid may cause a skin reaction (e.g., flushing, redness, warmth, tingling). The reaction usually appears 30 to 45 minutes after having alcohol and disappears 30 to 60 minutes later.
This medication must not be used during pregnancy. It may harm an unborn baby. Therefore, it is important to prevent pregnancy while taking this medication. Consult your doctor for more details and to discuss the use of reliable forms of birth control (e.g., condoms, birth control pills) while taking this medication. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, tell your doctor right away.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: iron-containing products taken by mouth (e.g., supplements, multivitamins).
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: loss of appetite, weakness, unusual tiredness, nausea, vomiting, shaking (tremor).
Laboratory and/or medical tests (e.g., complete blood count, liver/kidney function) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip themissed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet