Health Insurance and Medicare Medical Reference
What to Know About Medigap Enrollment
- How to Apply for a Disability Discharge for a Loan
Find out how to apply for a disability discharge for your student loans, including what conditions may qualify and what documentation you’ll need.
- What to Know About Social Security Disability Benefits
Find out what you need to know about Social Security benefits, including application steps and eligibility requirements.
- What to Know About Medicare Enrollment Programs
Medicare has specific enrollment periods for different plans. Learn about each of these plans, when the enrollment periods are, and possible penalties for missing them.
- What to Know About Medicare and Vision Care
Find out what you need to know about Medicare vision coverage, and discover the services included in your health insurance.
- What to Know About Medicare Part D Costs
Medicare Part D is Medicare's optional drug coverage plan. Learn what it covers, when you can sign up, and how much it may cost.
- How Disabled People Can Get Help With Housing
The U.S. government runs several programs to enable access to housing for disabled individuals. Learn more about these programs and how you can apply for them.
- What Is an ABLE Account?
Find out everything you need to know about ABLE accounts and who is eligible to open one.
- AFib With Medicare and Medicaid
What’s covered when you have AFib and are on Medicare or Medicaid? Find out what costs to expect for your diagnosis and treatment.
- Prescription Savings Programs: Are They Worth It?
Will a prescription savings program benefit you? Take a look at how they work to see if they’re worth it.
- How to Find and Work with an Insurance Broker to Get Medicare
Decisions about Medicare enrollment can be tricky. You’ll have lots of choices to make, and a broker can help you weigh your options. Find out how they can help and what to watch for.
- What Is Medigap Coverage?
Get the facts on Medigap, supplemental insurance that covers costs Medicare doesn’t. Learn which plan might be best for you.
- What to Do If You Miss a Medicare Enrollment Deadline
Learn what your options are if you miss Medicare’s enrollment deadlines.
- Medicare 101: A Deeper Dive
Learn how to enroll in Medicare, what the different parts are, and what health services they cover.
- What Veterans Need to Know About Noise-Related Health Problems
Learn about noise-related health problems in veterans.
- What to Know: Benefits for Families of Late Veterans
Veterans death benefits extend to the surviving spouses and children of deceased military service members and include pensions, DIC, and healthcare.
- What Veterans Should Know About Rabies
Learn everything you need to know about rabies exposure as a veteran, including causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
- What to Know About Radiation Exposure in Veterans
Many veterans have been exposed to radiation during their service. Find out more about the effects of radiation exposure and potential treatments.
- What to Know About Lead Exposure in Veterans
Find out what you need to know about lead exposure in veterans and discover the symptoms and treatments available.
- What to Know About Depleted Uranium Exposure in Veterans
Learn about depleted uranium exposure and how it can affect military veterans.
- Understanding Medicare Costs and Penalties
You’ll want to budget for your Medicare costs. Learn what you should expect to pay for your health coverage, how to avoid penalties for signing up late, and where to find help if your income is limited.
- How to Compare Supplemental Medicare Plans
Supplemental or Medigap insurance plans will cover some of your out-of-pocket costs when you have Original Medicare. Here’s what to know about what they cover, costs, and more.
- Difference Between SSI and SSDI
Find out about the differences between supplemental security income (SSI) and social security disability insurance (SSDI).
- What to Know About State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP Programs)
What is a state health insurance assistance program, and how can it help you navigate Medicare?
- What to Know About Industrial Solvents Exposure in Veterans
Find out what you need to know about industrial solvents exposure in veterans, including symptoms, risks, and prevention.
- What to Know About Fuel Exposure in Veterans
Find out what you need to know about the dangers of fuel exposure in veterans. Learn about the health effects of fuels on different physical systems.
- What to Know About CARC Paint Exposure in Veterans
Learn more about CARC paint, the effects of exposure to its compounds, and how Gulf War veterans are affected.
- What to Know About Mefloquine Side Effects in Veterans
Discover what mefloquine is and when it’s prescribed. Learn about the side effects of this anti-malarial drug.
- What to Know About Sexual Assault Trauma in Veterans
Sexual assault is common among veterans. Learn about military sexual trauma and how to get help.
- Extreme Cold Exposure: What Veterans Should Know
Find out what you need to know about extreme cold exposure in veterans and how it may affect health.
- What to Know About Infectious Diseases in Veterans
Find out what you need to know about the infectious diseases affecting veterans. Learn about the symptoms and dangers of these diseases and how to avoid them.
- How to Get Low-Cost or Free Prescriptions
Learn how qualified people can get medications free or at a discount.
- How to Save Money With Generic Drugs
Generics work the same as brand-name medications but often cost far less.
- What to Know About Ordering Meds Online
How to save money and stay safe when you use an online pharmacy.
- What Is an Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN)?
An Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) is issued to Medicare recipients to transfer liability for payment. Learn more about ABNs, appeals, and more.
- What to Know About Medicare Premiums
What is Medicare premium, and how does it benefit you? Find out everything about Medicare plans and enrollment.
- HMO vs. PPO
What’s an HMO? What’s a PPO? How are they different? What are the pros and cons? How do you choose between an HMO and a PPO? Find out what you need to know about HMOs and PPOs, key differences, and how to choose the best plan for you.
- What Is an HMO?
Learn about HMOs, why they’re a popular type of insurance plan, what you can and can’t do when you have an HMO, costs, and when you need an in-network provider.
- What to Know About Lift Chairs
Lift chairs are motorized chairs that help you rise from a sitting to a standing position. Learn more about the uses, benefits, and risks of lift chairs and whether they're covered by medicare.
- Finding a Primary Doctor in the Digital Age
The internet has a wealth of information to look at when you're choosing a new doctor. Learn where to focus your searches to get the information you need.
- What to Ask a Doctor Before Choosing One
When you choose a new doctor, it's important to find the best fit for your health needs and situation. Ask these questions to learn key information.
- Dental Insurance: What’s Covered, What’s Not
Do you understand the fine print of your dental insurance plan? Here’s a primer on what it may cover and what it probably doesn’t.
- Does Medicare Cover Dental Work?
You know you’re insured, but for what? Find out how your teeth fit into the Medicare picture.
- Free or Low-Cost Dental Care When You’re Uninsured
Dental care can be expensive if you don’t have insurance or don't make much money. Here’s how to get free or low-cost dental treatments.
- What Are the Different Types of Doctors?
What do you call doctors who specialize in different types of diseases or conditions? How can you know you are going to the right specialist for your problem?
- Who's Who at the Doctor's Office
If you’re new to health insurance, you also may be new to doctors' offices. WebMD explains who does what at the doctor’s office so you can get the most out of your visit.
- Expert Spotlight: Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding expert Cathy Carothers weighs in on how the Affordable Care Act offers support to mothers.
- Health Insurance: 5 Tips for Emergency Room Visits
Tips that might save you money in the ER.
- Affordable Care Act: Preventive Health for Women
From screening tests to supplements, the Affordable Care Act covers a range of preventive care at no cost to women.
- Affordable Care Act: Coverage for Weight Loss
Worried about your weight? The Affordable Care Act covers obesity screening and counseling.