Heartburn/GERD Medical Reference
Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF) Procedure
- What to Know About H2 Receptor Blockers for GERD
What are H2 receptor blockers, and what is their effect on people with gastroesophageal reflux disease?
- What is Stretta?
Stretta is a procedure that is very effective at treating acid reflux. Learn more about Stretta here.
- What Is Water Brash?
Water brash is a symptom of GERD. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this health concern today.
- What to Know About Prokinetic Agents
Find out what you need to know about prokinetic agents, and discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits, and how they may affect health.
- Remedies for Acid Reflux
Learn home remedies and medical treatments to help ease your acid reflux symptoms and speed up your recovery.
- How Is GERD Diagnosed and Treated?
Learn how you can find out if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease and how it's treated if you do.
- Treatment Tips for Severe Chronic Heartburn
From diet and exercise to medications and surgery: How to tame heartburn.
- How to Treat Heartburn With Meds
You have plenty of choices when it comes to treating your heartburn. Find out all your options for OTC and prescription acid reflux and GERD medications.
- Heartburn Treatment
Does your chest feel like it’s on fire after a big meal? Learn why heartburn happens, who’s at risk, and how to stop -- and prevent -- the pain.
- Heartburn Fighting Meal Ideas for All Year Round
Rich and spicy foods can aggravate your heartburn symptoms. Try these easy meal ideas at your next special occasion.
- Party Recipes Without the Burn
Try these delicious recipes and enjoy party fare without the discomfort of heartburn.
- Heartburn Surgery
Find out about your options for procedures that help with stubborn heartburn and what results you can expect from them.
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux)
WebMD explains laryngopharyngeal reflux, sometimes called ''silent reflux,'' which causes backup of stomach acid into the throat and larynx and is common in infants. Learn more about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
- America Asks: Most Popular Questions About Heartburn
To help Americans with heartburn, WebMD took our video crew to the streets to hear their top concerns. Do you have some of the same heartburn concerns?
- Barrett's Esophagus: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Learn more from WebMD about Barrett's esophagus, including symptoms, causes, and treatments.
- Beyond Food: Other Causes of Heartburn and GERD
WebMD explains triggers and causes of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux, or GERD.
- Understanding Heartburn: Treatment
Learn how to treat heartburn from the experts at WebMD.
- Heartburn: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
Find out what heartburn is, what causes it, and how long symptoms last.
- Natural Home Remedies for Heartburn
Can natural and herbal alternatives offer you real heartburn relief? What about lifestyle changes? Learn more from the experts at WebMD.
- How Acid Reducers Can Help Treat Heartburn
Find out what “acid blocker” meds are and how they work to tame heartburn.
- Heartburn in Children and Infants
WebMD explores the common causes and symptoms of heartburn and reflux in infants and children, including tests and treatments.
- Common Heartburn Triggers
WebMD examines the common triggers of heartburn flare-ups, including exercising, taking certain medications, and eating large meals.
WebMD explains laryngospasm -- a frightening experience that affects breathing and speaking -- and its link to gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Got Bad Heartburn? Make These Changes
WebMD provides lifestyle and diet tips to help you control acid reflux.
- What Is Acid Reflux Disease?
WebMD provides an overview of acid reflux disease, including symptoms, causes, diagnosis, treatments, and helpful diet and lifestyle tips.
- Common Causes of Acid Reflux Disease
WebMD discusses the common causes of acid reflux disease, including abnormalities in the stomach and esophagus that may contribute to acid reflux symptoms.
- Acid Reflux Symptoms
WebMD examines the symptoms of acid reflux disease, including dyspepsia, dry cough, chronic sore throat, dysphagia, and chest pain.
- Effects of Uncontrolled Heartburn
WebMD explains the potentially dangerous effects of uncontrolled heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux.
- Questions to Ask Your Pharmacist About Heartburn Relief
WebMD offers 8 questions to ask your pharmacist when you need heartburn relief.
- Heartburn & GERD: Finding Help
Heartburn & GERD: Finding Help
- 10 Questions to Ask Doctor About GERD
Just diagnosed with GERD? Ask your doctor these questions from WebMD.
- Heartburn Symptoms
Learn to recognize the symptoms of heartburn.
- Simple Ways to Troubleshoot Your Heartburn
Get tips on preventing and managing heartburn.
- The Digestive System and Gas
Burping and farting. They are caused by gas, and gas is caused by a number of things, some within our control. WebMD explains.
- The Basics of Heartburn and GERD
WebMD explains the causes and treatments for heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia): Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
Indigestion is often a symptom of another problem. Learn about the causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of indigestion from the experts at WebMD.
- Is It Heartburn or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)?
WebMD helps you recognize the difference between heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, a condition that raises the risk of developing cancer of the esophagus.
- Keeping a Heartburn Log
Tracking your triggers can help manage heartburn effectively and naturally. WebMD provides a log to help you keep track.
- When to Call the Doctor About Heartburn or Reflux
When is it time to call a doctor about your heartburn or acid reflux symptoms? Find out from the experts at WebMD.
- Which OTC Meds Treat Heartburn?
A look at over-the-counter drugs used to treat heartburn and acid reflux.
- Esophageal Manometry
WebMD explains esophageal manometry, a test used to look for causes of acid reflux and heartburn, chest pain, and swallowing difficulty.
- Esophageal pH Test for Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Had heartburn or reflux symptoms for a while? You doctor may recommend the esophageal pH test to measure the amount of acid that flows into the esophagus from the stomach. WebMD explains the procedure.
- What Lifestyle Changes Help Manage Heartburn?
Discover tips and suggestions to help you manage symptoms of heartburn by adjusting your eating, sleeping and lifestyle habits.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Heartburn and Reflux
Answers to frequently asked questions about heartburn and acid reflux, from the experts at WebMD.
- The Basics of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
WebMD explains the basics of heartburn and acid reflux, including symptoms and causes.
- Acid Reflux, Heartburn, and GERD Resources
WebMD provides a list of resources for information about heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD.
- Glossary of Heartburn Terms
Learn more from WebMD about heartburn and acid reflux, or GERD, with this glossary of terms related to the conditions.
- Complications of Heartburn and GERD
Learn about the risks and consequences of not treating heartburn or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
- Upper Endoscopy for Diagnosing Heartburn and Reflux
WebMD explains the upper endoscopy -- how the procedure is used to diagnose digestive problems like acid reflux or identify inflammation, ulcers, and tumors.