Hypertension Medical Reference
- What Is Cor Pulmonale?
Learn what cor pulmonale is how to avoid it, its causes, treatments, and the testing you might need to determine whether or not you have this body response.
- What Is Labile Hypertension?
Labile hypertension is when blood pressure fluctuates a lot. Learn about its causes, symptoms, and treatment options today.
- Difference Between Vasoconstricting and Vasodilating Medications
Learn the differences between vasoconstricting and vasodilating medications, including what they do and when you should take them.
- What Is Presyncope?
Presyncope is feeling like you are going to pass out. Learn what causes it, how it's treated, and more.
- Valsartan, Losartan & Other BP Med Recalls 2018-19
Dozens of medications used to treat high blood pressure, including valsartan, losatran and irbersartan, have been recalled over the past several months as federal investigators discover potentially cancer-causing impurities in drugs made overseas.
- Autonomic Dysreflexia
This dangerous complication strikes many people who have spinal injuries.
- How to Pick a Home Blood Pressure Monitor
There are many home blood pressure monitors on the market. Find out where to buy a home blood pressure monitor, which type is most accurate, and more.
- What Is a Renin Test?
Is your blood pressure still high, despite medication and a healthy lifestyle? Find out what a renin test can tell you.
- What Is Isolated Systolic Hypertension?
A high top number on your blood pressure can be a sign of trouble.
- How Do I Know if I Need High Blood Pressure Drugs?
Find out how you and your doctor will figure out if lifestyle changes or medication is the best way to treat your high blood pressure.
- Effects of High Blood Pressure on Your Body
It starts with your arteries, but things like your brain, kidneys, eyes, and even your sex life could be harmed, too. Find out what can happen and why.
- Ways to Lower Blood Pressure
High blood pressure levels are nothing to ignore, but there are things you can do everyday to help lower your blood pressure. Learn more at WebMD.
- Sodium Blood Test
Maintaining proper sodium levels in your blood is critical to health. Learn about the symptoms of low sodium, sodium blood tests, and normal sodium levels.
- What Is Renal Hypertension?
WebMD provides information on renal hypertension, including symptoms, causes, and treatments.
- Malignant Hypertension
Malignant hypertension, or dangerously high blood pressure, is a medical emergency. Learn more from WebMD about the signs, risk factors, and treatments for this condition.
- Side Effects of High Blood Pressure Medications
WebMD describes the different types of hypertension medications and their possible side effects.
- Renal Artery Stenosis
WebMD explains the causes, symptoms, and treatments of renal artery stenosis.
- Checking Your Blood Pressure
WebMD explains how to check your own blood pressure.
- High Blood Pressure Diet
Learn the link between high blood pressure and diet, including ways to lower or prevent high blood pressure.
- Prehypertension: Are You at Risk?
WebMD explains the latest blood pressure guidelines, including information on prehypertension, an increasingly common condition that increases the chance of high blood pressure.
- Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements for Heart Disease
WebMD explains the health benefits of omega-3 fish oil, along with side effects.
- Combination Treatment for Hypertension
WebMD explains combination treatment for hypertension, often used if high blood pressure is out of control.
- Diastole vs. Systole: Know Your Blood Pressure Numbers
WebMD explains what diastolic and systolic blood pressure numbers mean and why it’s important to keep track of them.
- Atherosclerosis and High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a major cause of atherosclerosis, the artery-clogging process that leads to heart attacks and strokes. Find out more.
- High Blood Pressure
The risk of high blood pressure begins to climb when people turn age 45. WebMD explains how to prevent and treat hypertension.
- High Blood Pressure and Drug Safety
Some common medicines can raise blood pressure. Which should you avoid when you have high blood pressure?
- High Blood Pressure Drugs and How They Work
Antihypertensive medicines can help bring blood pressure back down to a normal range. Find out their names and how they work.
- Taking High Blood Pressure Drugs Properly
If you have high blood pressure, taking your medication the right way is key to your success. WebMD gives tips on properly taking your hypertension drugs.
- High Blood Pressure in Children
WebMD explains diagnosis and treatment of high blood pressure in children.
- High Blood Pressure in Black People
African Americans are especially vulnerable to high blood pressure. Learn more from WebMD about lowering your risk factors for this condition.
- 5 Misconceptions About High Blood Pressure
There are many misconceptions about high blood pressure and its treatment. WebMD explains five of the most common myths.
- Tests for High Blood Pressure
If you measure for high blood pressure, your health care provider may order other tests to check for organ damage.
- Grapefruit Juice: Is It Affecting Your Medication?
Your morning grapefruit juice may not be a good idea if you're taking certain medications for your heart or other conditions.
- Secondary Hypertension
High blood pressure might be the result of a secondary condition, such as sleep apnea, kidney problems, or even pregnancy. Learn more from WebMD about the causes and treatment of secondary hypertension.
- How High Blood Pressure Leads to Erectile Dysfunction
WebMD explains the connection between high blood pressure and erectile dysfunction.
- High Blood Pressure and Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
High blood pressure can lead to erectile dysfunction, but there are plenty of treatments. WebMD provides an overview of drugs, surgeries, and alternative therapies used to help you regain your erections.
- Exercise Tips for Those With High Blood Pressure
If you have high blood pressure, read these tips to learn how to exercise safely.
- How Your Heart Works
The human heart is an amazing machine. WebMD explains how it works.
- Glossary of High Blood Pressure Terms
Here are the definitions of words you'll most likely encounter when dealing with high blood pressure.
- Frequently Asked Questions About High Blood Pressure
WebMD answers common questions about high blood pressure, including causes, treatments, and diet.
- High Blood Pressure and Calcium Channel Blockers
Calcium channel blockers are drugs used to lower blood pressure. Learn more from WebMD about how they work and their side effects.
- Diuretics (Water Pills) for High Blood Pressure
Diurectics are often the first medication to try for high blood pressure (hypertension). They help your body get rid of extra water and salt. What should you know about taking them?
- DASH Diet and High Blood Pressure
What is the DASH diet and how can it help people with high blood pressure? Find out more.
- Beta-Blockers for High Blood Pressure
Beta-blockers slow down your heart and ease its pumping strength. What should you know about taking them? What side effects could you have?
- High Blood Pressure and Hypertensive Crisis
A spike in blood pressure could lead to hypertensive urgency or a hypertensive emergency - and organ damage. Learn more from WebMD about symptoms and treatment.
- Checking Your Blood Pressure at Home
Checking your own blood pressure at home can be a way to monitor any hypertension and potential for heart disease. WebMD tells you how to do it.
- High Blood Pressure: Complementary Treatments
Find out how yoga, meditation, supplements, and other complementary and alternative treatments may help you manage high blood pressure.