Ulcerative Colitis Medical Reference
- Are There Racial Disparities in Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis diagnosis and treatment can look very different depending on your race.
- Ulcerative Colitis and Blood in Your Stool
You may see some blood in your stool when you are having a flare-up of your UC. But too much is a warning sign. Learn treatment options, and when to call your doctor.
- Sacroiliitis and Ulcerative Colitis: What to Know
Learn more about this type of joint inflammation that sometimes happens with ulcerative colitis and how to manage pain.
- Biologics and Biosimilars for Ulcerative Colitis
Learn more about these medications and how they work to ease your symptoms and ward off future flares.
- How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect Your Weight?
People with ulcerative colitis (UC) often lose weight. But you can gain weight, too.
- Ostomy Bags for Ulcerative Colitis
How to choose one that suits your lifestyle, condition, and budget.
- Systemic Steroids for Ulcerative Colitis
How do systemic steroids treat symptoms of ulcerative colitis? Find out how well they work, types, and side effects.
- How to Exercise With an Ostomy Bag
Yes, you can exercise with an ostomy bag. Learn how to work out safely and with confidence when you have a stoma.
- Immunosuppressive Drugs for Ulcerative Colitis
How do immunosuppressive drugs treat UC? Find out your options, side effects, and more.
- Who's At Risk for Ulcerative Colitis?
Find out how things like your age, where you live, and your genes affect your odds of getting UC.
- Ulcerative Colitis and Pyoderma Gangrenosum: Are They Linked?
It’s not uncommon for people with ulcerative colitis to also have skin problems. Here’s a look at the link between UC and pyoderma gangrenosum.
- Tips to Manage Ulcerative Colitis at School
If your child has ulcerative colitis, going to school can come with a unique set of issues. Here are some tips to manage flare-ups.
- Choosing an Ulcerative Colitis Clinical Trial
Clinical trials are testing new ways to treat ulcerative colitis. What you should know if you are thinking about choosing a trial.
- Mesalamine for Ulcerative Colitis
Mesalamine is a medicine that can help put some people with mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis into remission.
Does having ulcerative colitis put you at higher risk of getting a C. diff infection? Learn about the potential link between the two.
- Long-Term Maintenance Therapy for Ulcerative Colitis
If you have ulcerative colitis, you’ll need to keep taking your medicines to keep your symptoms at bay. Here’s what you should know.
- Smoking and Ulcerative Colitis: What's the Link?
Cigarettes have harmful health effects. But studies have found that they may have benefits for those with ulcerative colitis. Read more about the link.
- Treatment of Acute Severe Ulcerative Colitis
Acute severe ulcerative colitis is a severe complication of ulcerative colitis. The potentially life-threatening condition requires hospitalization for medication and, potentially, surgery.
- Is Fish Oil Good for Ulcerative Colitis?
Growing research shows fish oil, which contains omega-3 fatty acids, improves ulcerative colitis symptoms. Here’s a deep-dive to see if it really works.
- Colitis vs. Ulcerative Colitis: What’s the Difference?
Colitis and ulcerative colitis (UC) seem similar, but they’re not the same. Here’s how your doctor will diagnose you and start you on the right treatment.
- What Is the Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies (ANCA) Test?
An overview of this test, which doctors use to help diagnose ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and the blood vessel disease vasculitis.
- Ulcerative Colitis and Your Eyes
Find out which eye problems are linked to ulcerative colitis, and learn what the symptoms and treatments are.
- What Is a PUCAI Score?
Learn what a PUCAI score is, its role in managing your child’s ulcerative colitis symptoms, and how to calculate it.
- How to Treat Mild Ulcerative Colitis
While more serious cases of ulcerative colitis may have to be treated with surgery, mild cases can often be managed with medications and lifestyle changes.
- Ulcerative Colitis With Constipation
While ulcerative colitis (UC) can have you running to the bathroom, it can also cause the opposite problem. Find out more about the link between constipation and UC.
- Ulcerative Colitis vs. Diverticulitis: What’s the Difference?
Ulcerative colitis and diverticulitis both affect your gut. Find out what the two conditions share in common and what sets them apart.
- Ulcerative Colitis and Ankylosing Spondylitis: What's the Link?
It's not uncommon for your joints to hurt with ulcerative colitis. Learn why, and how to treat both conditions.
- How Severe Is My Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis symptoms vary. Most people have either mild or moderate disease. But some have more intense forms. Learn about the differences.
- What to Know About Ulcerative Proctosigmoiditis
What is ulcerative colitis in your rectum and colon? This type of IBD causes flare-ups and needs lifelong management.
- Ulcerative Colitis
Have these questions ready when you talk to your doctor about symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- Resources for Ulcerative Colitis
Learn about nonprofit organizations, blogs, and online communities that offer information and support for dealing with ulcerative colitis.
- Conditions That Can Look Like UC
There are a number of other conditions that can look like ulcerative colitis. Learn their similarities and differences and how to tell whether you have ulcerative colitis or another problem.
- Take Control of Ulcerative Colitis Flares
You might worry about when your UC symptoms will strike. Taking the right medication and avoiding certain foods can ease or ward off flares.
- The Link Between Stress and Ulcerative Colitis
There’s no proof that stress causes UC. But you probably know that it can make your symptoms worse or bring on a flare. Here’s what we've found.
- The Costs of Ulcerative Colitis
How much will you have to pay to manage your ulcerative colitis (UC) symptoms?
- Latest Ulcerative Colitis Research
Scientists are making breakthroughs in the study of ulcerative colitis. WebMD looks at the latest research into causes and treatments for this disease of the large intestine.
- How to Prepare for Ulcerative Colitis Surgery
Learn how to get ready for your ulcerative colitis surgery and what to expect.
- Sleep Tips for People With IBD
- How UC Doctor Visits Might Change
- Tips for Improving Your Appetite if You Have IBD
Learn how to take control of your appetite when you have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- How Ulcerative Colitis Affects Your Colon Cancer Risk
If you have ulcerative colitis, you may be at risk for developing other life-threatening complications. Learn how.
- Can You Drink Alcohol if You Have Ulcerative Colitis?
If you have ulcerative colitis, learn how alcohol might affect or interact with your condition and if you should skip alcohol.
- Why UC Can Vary From Person to Person
Ulcerative colitis (UC) could look and feel different for you than it does for other people with the disease. Here’s why.
- Conditions You May Have Along With Ulcerative Colitis
As if ulcerative colitis (UC) wasn’t challenging enough to manage by itself, the disease can also make you more likely to get other health conditions. Your risk could go up for ailments ranging from depression to infections to colon cancer.
- Side Effects of Ulcerative Colitis Medications
If you have ulcerative colitis, your doctor will likely suggest medication to treat your condition. Like any drug, you may notice side effects. Find out what to look out for.
- Ulcerative Colitis: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Understanding ulcerative colitis symptoms and treatment can help you live easier with the condition. Here are some key questions to ask your doctor.
- Types of Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative colitis can affect different parts of your colon and rectum. There are three main types of UC that can have various symptoms. Find out why they differ and how to treat each form.
- Tips for Living With an Ileostomy
It takes time to get used to life with an ileostomy. But once you learn how to take care of it, you can do many of the things you’ve always done.
- Help a Child With UC Prep for Bathroom Emergencies
Ulcerative colitis (UC) symptoms mean bathroom accidents could happen. Here’s how to prepare your child for emergencies that may come up.