Osteoporosis News & Features
New AI May Slash High Death Rate After Hip Fractures
- Older Men More at Risk as Dangerous Falls Rise for All Seniors
March 17, 2023 — For the older population, falls are a major health hazard.
- Osteoporosis Isn't Just for Women
Guys, here's how you can protect your bone health now.
- The Time to Prevent Osteoporosis Is Now
Bone up on what you can do to maintain bone health as you age.
- Exercise After a Broken Bone From Osteoporosis
Learn what kind of exercises you should do after you broke a bone due to osteoporosis.
- Build Stronger Bones With Exercise
Learn exercises that can help you build up your bones if you have osteoporosis.
- Do You Get Enough Vitamin D and Calcium?
Vitamin D and calcium are essential for bone health. How to know if you're getting enough.
- Bone Thieves: How to Defend Yourself
What’s robbing your bones of what they need?
- Easy Living Tips After a Fracture
Learn smart ways to get around, cook, dress, and stay independent when you're nursing a broken bone.
- Living With Osteoporosis
Our expert gives four ways to protect and strengthen your bones.
- Do Your Medications Affect Your Bones?
Get the facts about medications and their impact on bone health.
- Osteoporosis Fractures: PT and Pain Management
How are osteoporosis fractures treated? Learn about physical therapy and pain management options.
- Osteoporosis Tips: Build Stronger Bones
Building strong bones now may protect you from osteoporosis later. How diet and exercise can help strengthen your bones.
- Can You Reverse Osteoporosis?
WebMD talks to experts about whether it's possible to reverse osteoporosis.
- Women and Weight Training for Osteoporosis
Did you know that weight training for osteoporosis -- not just walking or doing aerobics, but lifting weights -- can help protect your bones and prevent osteoporosis-related fractures? Here's how to get started on weight training.
- Osteoporosis and Diets
Weight loss and bone loss can sometimes go hand in hand. What is the relationship between osteoporosis and dieting, and how do you know if you’re at risk for bone loss? Learn about safe dieting here.
- 6 Medical Conditions Linked to Osteoporosis and Bone Loss
Some fairly common medical conditions are among the causes of osteoporosis bone loss. Assess your risk, and find out what to do.
- Weight-Bearing Exercise: 8 Workouts for Strong Bones
You can preserve bone density, balance, and strength -- with a little tango, tennis, golf, and more!
- Osteoporosis Medications: How They Work
From the latest medications to daily supplements -- what's your osteoporosis medication doing for you?
- Bone Scans and Bone Health Screenings
When should you get a bone density scan, and why?
- What Causes Osteoporosis? And Why?
Think you know what causes osteoporosis? Think again -- some of the causes may surprise you.
- 12 Foods to Boost Bone Health
Diagnosed with osteoporosis? Getting the calcium and vitamin D you need is easier than you think -- if you think better breakfasts!
- Bone Loss and Posture: 6 Tips to Look Your Best
Frustrated with the way clothes look on you lately? Try these fashion tips for a better fit and feel.
- Drink Less for Strong Bones
Heavy drinking and alcohol use has been linked with osteoporosis and risk of serious fractures.
- Male Osteoporosis: Bone Mass Matters
About 20% of people with osteoporosis are men. What causes osteoporosis in men, and what can a man do about it?
- 5 Lifestyle Steps for Better Bone Health
Maximize bone health and reduce the effects of osteoporosis with these simple steps. Start today.
- The Effects of Smoking on Bone Health
Cigarette smoke generates free radicals -- molecules that attack and overwhelm the body's natural defenses -- contributing to bone loss and osteoporosis.
- How Much Do You Know About Bones?
Take this quiz to find out how much you know about bone health, and learn a bit about what you can do to protect your skeleton from head to toe!
- Soda and Osteoporosis: Is There a Connection?
If you're a soda lover, you need to be extra-vigilant about bone health. There may be a link between soda and osteoporosis that could be putting your bones at risk.
- Know Your Osteoporosis Blood Test Markers
Know where you are with your osteoporosis test markers
- Exercise for Osteoporosis
Health experts recommend exercise for osteoporosis; here's how you can get it.
- Bone Density: A Clue to Your Future
DEXA bone density scans: Will you glide into your golden years or live out a fractured fairy tale?
- Sally Field: An Osteoporosis Story
Sally Field, an actress known for playing strong women, tells of her battle against a bone-thinning disease.
- Newer Osteoporosis Treatments Build Stronger Bones
For those with osteoporosis, several newer drugs (bisphosphonates and selective estrogen receptor modulators, or SERMs) seem to maintain or increase bone density and prevent fractures.
- Low-Cost Ways to Protect Your Bones
If you have osteoporosis or you're concerned about getting it, learn how some inexpensive ways to change your diet and exercise habits. Your new lifestyle will help you keep your bones strong and prevent fractures.
- Building Stronger Bones
Low bone mineral density? Worried about osteoporosis? Here's how to build stronger bones.
- New Weapons to Fight Osteoporosis
It's not just hormones anymore. Today, there are several ways to fight the brittle bones and potentially deadly fractures due to osteoporosis.
- Boning Up on Bones
It's not your run-of-the-mill camp, though the 46 boys who attended Camp Calcium at Purdue University this year participated in all the fun and games typically associated with six weeks away from mom and dad. But the camp is also an innovative setting for a research project, now in its seventh year, looking at how the body uses calcium to build bones during the adolescent growth spurt. Findings f