Child Dies From E. Coli After Visit to County Fair

From the WebMD Archives

July 1, 2019 -- One of four children who became ill with E. coli after visiting the San Diego County Fair has died.

Three of the children did not require hospitalization, but the youngest -- a 2-year-old boy -- died from complications of E. coli infection at a hospital last week, the county said in a statement Friday, CNN reported.

All four children visited animal areas or the petting zoo, which were later closed to the public, the county said.

Symptoms of E. coli infection include stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Officials advised anyone who had symptoms on or after June 8 to inform a health care provider, CNN reported.

WebMD News from HealthDay
Copyright © 2013-2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Get Pregnancy & Parenting Tips In Your Inbox

Doctor-approved information to keep you and your family healthy and happy.

By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the WebMD Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of WebMD subscriptions at any time.