Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Larry Dale Gordon / Photographer's Choice / Getty Images
(2) Judith Haeusler / Stone / Getty Images
(3) © GoodShoot / ArtLife Images
(4) © Interactive Media LLC
(5) Nina Mourier / Pixland / ArtLife Images
(6) “Fitzpatrick’s Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology”; Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond; Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
(7) © Interactive Media LLC
(8) Copyright © BSIP / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(9) Copyright © ISM / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(10) Bernhard Limberger / LOOK / Getty Images
(12) David De Lossy / Photodisc / Photolibrary
(13) Stockxpert / Jupiter Images
(14) Noel Hendrickson / Blend Images / Photolibrary
(15) © Interactive Media LLC
(16) H Jones / Cultura / Photolibrary
(17) Comstock Images / Jupiter Images
(18) Caroline von Tuempling / Iconica / Getty Images
(19) Dr. Dennis Kunkel / Visuals Unlimited / Getty Images
Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry: "Hair Analysis Panel Discussion: Executive Summary."
American Academy of Dermatology: "Alopecia Areata," "Hair loss: Diagnosis, treatment, and outcome."
American Hair Loss Association: "Diagnosis," "Drug Induced Hair Loss," "Effluviums," "Hair Shaft Defects."
American Medical Association, "Archives of Dermatology."
American Family Physician, "Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis."
American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, "Telogen Effluvium Hair Loss."
EczemaNet, American Academy of Dermatology: "Seborrheic Dermatitis."
Harrison, S. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, 2009.
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery: "Other Hair Loss Causes."
KidsHealth: "Dandruff (Seborrheic Dermatitis)," "Why Does Hair Turn Gray?"
Medscape Reference: "Telogen Effluvium."
Reviewed by Stephanie S. Gardner, MD on November 17, 2018
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.