Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(2) © Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(3) Jose Luis Pelaez Inc / Getty
(4) Bernd Opitz / Riser
(5) © Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(6) © Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(7) Cormac Hanley / The Image Bank
(8) Steve Mason / Getty
(9) Studio MPM / Photonica
(10) © BSIP / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(11) Jupiter Images Unlimited
(12) © Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved.
(13) Alain Daussin / Riser
(14) © ISM / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
(15) Thomas Northcut / Riser
(16) Normann Hochheimer / Doc-Stock
American Academy of Dermatology: "Viral Infections: Herpes Simplex."
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences: "Ocular Herpes Simplex."
Cernik, C. Archives of Internal Medicine, June 9, 2008.
American Dental Association: "Canker Sores and Cold Sores."
Kriesel, J. Human Genome Variation, published online Nov. 20, 2014.
National Eye Institute: "Facts About the Cornea and Corneal Disease."
Xu, F. JAMA, 2006.
Corey, L. New England Journal of Medicine, 1986.
Pope. L.E. Antiviral Research, 1998.
Spruance, S.L. New England Journal of Medicine, 1977.
UpToDate: Treatment of herpes simplex virus type 1 infection in immunocompetent patients.”
Merriam Webster: “Mucous Membrane.”
Mayo Clinic: “Cold Sore: Symptoms.”
Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar, MD on November 09, 2019
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.