Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Pascal Goetgheluck / Photo Researchers, Inc
2) Geoff Tompkinson / Photo Researchers, Inc
3) Patrick Bernard / Photonica / Getty Images
4) Photo courtesy of Ben Mains
5) Dr. P. Marazzi / Photo Researchers, Inc
6) Left: Ken Samuelsen /Getty Images
Middle: Devin Allphin / iStockphoto
Right: Ted Kinsman / Photo Researchers, Inc.
7) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
8) Copyright 2007 Getty Images
9) Dr. Jeremy Burgess / Photo Researchers, Inc
10) Rose Hayes / iStockphoto
11) Shin Suzuki /AURA/ANYONE from Getty Images
12) Top left: Michael & Patricia Fogden / Minden Pictures / Getty Images
Top right: John Bell / iStockphoto
Bottom left: Mark Kostich / iStockphoto
Bottom right: Rusty Dodson / iStockphoto
13) Joseph T. & Suzanne L. Collins / Photo Researchers, Inc
14) Francesco Tomasinelli / Photo Researchers, Inc. Photo retouching by WebMD
15) Clint Spencer / iStockphoto
16) Photo courtesy of Juliette LaCour
17) Left: 2007 Interactive Medical Media LLC. All rights reserved
Right top and bottom: Copyright © ISM / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
18) Copyright © ISM / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
American Cancer Society web site.
Auerbach, P. Wilderness Medicine, 5th edition, Mosby, 2007.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web site.
Missouri Department of Conservation web site.
National Fire Protection Association.
Ohio State University Fact Sheet.
Sonnen, G. Proceedings (Baylor University Medical Center), January 2007.
The Nemours Foundation's TeensHealth web site.
The Skin Cancer Foundation web site.
University of Maryland Medical Center web site.
UpToDate web site.
Loyola University of New Orleans: "Poisonous and Venomous Snakes."
Reviewed by Sabrina Felson, MD on May 17, 2018
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.