ALPHA-KETOGLUTARATE Overview Information
Alpha-ketoglutarate is a chemical found in the body. People use it to make medicine.
Alpha-ketoglutarate is used for kidney disease; intestinal and stomach disorders, including bacterial overgrowth; liver problems; cataracts; and recurring yeast infections. It is also used for improving the way kidney patients receiving hemodialysis treatments process protein. Alpha-ketoglutarate is also used to promote bone health and lung function.
Some people take alpha-ketoglutarate to improve peak athletic performance. Suppliers of athletic nutritional supplements claim alpha-ketoglutarate may be an important addition to proper diet and training for the athlete who wants peak performance. They base this claim on studies that show extra ammonia in the body can combine with alpha-ketoglutarate to reduce problems associated with too much ammonia (ammonia toxicity). But, so far, the only studies that show alpha-ketoglutarate can reduce ammonia toxicity have been performed in hemodialysis patients.
Healthcare providers sometimes give alpha-ketoglutarate intravenously (by IV) for preventing injury to the heart caused by blood flow problems during heart surgery and for preventing muscle breakdown after surgery or trauma.
How does it work?
Alpha-ketoglutarate works in many pathways in the body, to help make muscle, and to help heal wounds.
Possibly Effective for:
- Improving kidney failure treatment (hemodialysis). Taking calcium alpha-ketoglutarate seems to improve results of certain lab tests used to monitor the effectiveness of hemodialysis in patients receiving this treatment.
- Preventing blood supply problems during heart surgery. Administering alpha-ketoglutarate intravenously (by IV) seems to reduce blood supply problems during heart surgery.
- Preventing muscle breakdown. Alpha-ketoglutarate seems to reduce muscle breakdown after surgery or trauma.
- Athletic performance. A small study found that taking alpha-ketoglutarate daily for 5 weeks improves athletic performance.
- Bacterial infections.
- Bone health.
- Intestinal and stomach disorders.
- Kidney disease.
- Lung health.
- Yeast infections.
- Other conditions.
ALPHA-KETOGLUTARATE Side Effects & Safety
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For patients undergoing hemodialysis: 1.187 grams of alpha-ketoglutarate plus 0.813 grams of calcium carbonate three times weekly has been used. Also, about 4.5 grams of calcium alpha-ketoglutarate has been used daily for 3 years.
- For preventing muscle breakdown: Healthcare providers give alpha-ketoglutarate down a tube.
- For preventing blood supply problems during heart surgery and for preventing muscle breakdown after surgery or trauma: Healthcare providers give alpha-ketoglutarate intravenously (by IV).