9 Home Spa Makeovers for Body and Soul
Exfoliate your skin gently with natural papaya enzymes, and leave the house with a gentle glow.
- Wash face thoroughly.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- While water is heating, mash 1/2 of a papaya into a paste.
- Move pot to table and place face over steam, holding a bath towel over your head. Adjust to be sure skin is at a comfortable temperature.
- Steam face for 5-8 minutes.
- Apply papaya mixture, carefully avoiding the eye area.
- Lie down and relax for 5-10 minutes.
- When you feel fully rejuvenated, rinse your face and apply moisturizer for a radiant complexion.
* Courtesy of Nob Hill Spa, San Francisco.
Home Spa Recipe for Natural Hair Conditioner
Blend up this simple recipe for a deep hair conditioning treatment that will leave your hair soft and silky. The fats in the avocado and heavy cream are rich in emollients that quickly penetrate the hair, while the honey keeps your scalp's moisture level at an optimum balance -- not too dry or too oily -- and acts as a natural antibacterial agent.
1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon honey
Mix ingredients in a blender. Comb mixture through freshly washed hair. Wrap head in plastic (a grocery bag will do), and cover with a towel. Let sit for 15 minutes, and rinse well.
* Excerpted from Chick Living: Frugal and Fabulous, by Kris Koederitz Melcher. Reprinted with permission of Conari Press. Copyright 2005.
Home Spa Sugar Scrub and Honey Hand Wrap
Soothe itchy, dry, winter-chapped hands with this richly emollient hand wrap.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
Mix olive oil and sugar to form a paste. Massage over hands to lightly exfoliate; then rinse with warm water. Warm honey in microwave and apply to hands (be careful -- don't let it get too hot!). Wrap hands with plastic wrap, and relax for 30 minutes.
* Courtesy of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North, Ariz., Avon, Co.
Home Spa Coffee Body Scrub
If the smell of freshly brewed coffee perks you up in morning, try inhaling an entire shower full of Joe! Massage oil smoothes and moisturizes, while coarsely ground coffee and raw sugar or sea salt rids your body of dead, flaky skin cells.