Erectile Dysfunction: Preventing It
For people who are at risk of developing erectile dysfunction, taking active steps to prevent its occurrence will not only help you maintain erectile function, but also help you lead a healthier life overall. Some steps you can take to prevent ED include:
- Stop smoking.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Review your medications with your doctor and ask about possible substitutions for those that may cause ED (never stop or change a medication without first talking to your doctor).
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol (more than two drinks a day).
- Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- If you have a chronic illness such as diabetes or kidney disease, follow your doctor's guidelines to keep these conditions in control.