For people who are at risk of developing erectile dysfunction, taking active steps to prevent its occurrence will also help you lead a healthier life overall. Some steps you can take to prevent ED include:
- Stop smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Review your medications with your doctor and ask about possible substitutions for those that may cause ED (never stop or change a medication without first talking to your doctor).
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol (more than two drinks a day).
- Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- If you have a chronic illness such as diabetes or kidney disease, follow your doctor's guidelines to keep these conditions in control.