Skip to content
Select An Article

Your Medical Team for Rheumatoid Arthritis

Font Size

Living with rheumatoid arthritis can be a challenge. Luckily, you don't have to do it alone. You can build a great team of professional health care providers who will help you. There are several key players you should turn to.

Your Rheumatologist

This is a medical doctor who specializes in arthritis and other joint and muscle diseases. She's the star of your RA treatment team. You’ll see her regularly. She'll keep your treatment on track and work with you to manage your condition.

You should tell your rheumatologist how you’re doing, including any activities that give you trouble or questions you have about your medicine. She can also put you in touch with other pros you want on your team.

Your Regular Doctor

You may also see a primary care doctor, who will work with you on your overall health. You’ll see her for checkups. She can also give you referrals to other specialists.

Your Physical Therapist

PTs help you get stronger. They can make an exercise plan for you. Remember, your joints will be healthier if you're active. Your PT will help make that happen.

Your Occupational Therapist

If rheumatoid arthritis starts to slow you down, or if daily tasks become hard, a visit with an occupational therapist will probably help. They have a playbook of "work-arounds" to let you continue to live your own way. They can also provide or recommend assistive devices that will smooth out the rough spots in your daily routine, like special gadgets to make cooking or computer work easier.

Your Psychologist, Psychiatrist, or Social Worker

RA can be stressful. Don’t hesitate to see a professional if it starts to get to you. Often, talking things through can help you find different approaches that will work better for you.

Social workers can help you navigate the health care system, counsel you during tough times, and help you find community or government resources to get more care and support.

Psychologists and psychiatrists provide counseling, psychotherapy, or stress management therapy. Psychiatrists can also prescribe medication, such as antidepressants, if needed.

Your Orthopedic Surgeon

You may never need surgery for your RA. Today’s medicines can stop or slow down the disease. But if you feel that your treatment doesn’t work and that you have a lot of problems with your joints, ask your rheumatologist if you should consider joint replacement or other surgery.

Next Article:

Today on WebMD

rubbing hands
Avoid these 6 common mistakes.
mature couple exercising
Decrease pain, increase energy.
mature woman threading needle
How much do you know?
Swelling, fatigue, pain, and more.
Lucille Ball
Hand bones X-ray
prescription pills
Woman massaging her neck
woman roasting vegetables in oven
Woman rubbing shoulder
Working out with light weights