GAMMA ORYZANOL Overview Information
Gamma oryzanol is a substance that is taken out of rice bran oil. It is also found in wheat bran and some fruits and vegetables. People use it as medicine.
Gamma oryzanol is used for high cholesterol and symptoms of menopause and aging.
Some people use it for increasing testosterone and human growth hormone levels, as well as improving strength during resistance exercise training.
How does it work?
Gamma oryzanol might reduce cholesterol levels by reducing absorption of cholesterol from foods.
Gamma oryzanol is also often promoted for treating menopause, but it is unclear how it would work for this use. Some researchers suspect it might be helpful due to effects on luteinizing hormone (LH). However, this effect has not been shown in people.
Some people use gamma oryzanol for increasing testosterone and growth hormone levels. However, gamma oryzanol appears to have no effect on these hormone levels. In fact, animal studies suggest that gamma oryzanol might even reduce testosterone production.
Possibly Effective for:
- Lowering cholesterol levels. Gamma oryzanol seems to significantly decrease total cholesterol, “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. But its effects on “good” high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels are less clear. Various research studies have returned differing results.
- Increasing testosterone and human growth hormone levels.
- Improving strength during resistance exercise training.
- Treating symptoms of menopause and aging.
- Other conditions.
GAMMA ORYZANOL Side Effects & Safety
Gamma oryzanol is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults. However, the potential side effects of gamma oryzanol are not known.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of gamma oryzanol during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Under-active thyroid (hypothyroidism): Gamma oryzanol might lower thyroid function. Don’t use gamma oryzanol if you have thyroid problems.
GAMMA ORYZANOL Dosing
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For lowering cholesterol: the usual dose of gamma oryzanol is 300 mg daily. In one study, 100 mg three times daily was used.