Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Rosemary Calvert / Photographer's Choice
(4) Linda Steward / iStockphoto
(5) Ivan Mateev / iStockphoto
(6) Carl Durocher / iStockphoto
(7) Rita Maas / The Image Bank / Getty Images
(8) Tetra Images / Getty Images
(10) Stockbyte / Getty Images
(11) ICHIRO / Taxi Japan / Getty Images
(12) Peter Teller / Digital Vision / Getty Images
(13) Lucas Cornwell / iStockphoto
(14) Noel Hendrickson / Blend Images / Getty Images
(15) PhotoAlto / Sandro Di Carlo Darsa / Getty Images
(16) Blue Line Pictures / Photographer's Choice / Getty Images
(17) Jose Luis Pelaez / Iconica / Getty Images
American Heart Association.
Anderson, J. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, December 2004.
Courtenay Schurman, MS, CSCS, author, The Outdoor Athlete.
Jensen, M.K. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, February 2006.
Julia Valentour, MS, exercise physiologist and program coordinator, American Council on Exercise.
Krishnan, S. Archives of Internal Medicine, Nov. 26, 2007.
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute.
Steptoe, A. Health Psychology, November 2005.
The New England Journal of Medicine, Nov. 7, 2002.
Therese Iknoian, MS, author, Fitness Walking.
Timothy Gardner, MD, past president, American Heart Association.
U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Villegas, R. Archives of Internal Medicine, Nov. 26, 2007.
Reviewed by James Beckerman, MD, FACC on March 04, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.