Health & Balance Features
Weight and Diabetes: Understanding the Link
- Weight Goals: How Your Circles Help
Research shows that you can lose weight more successfully if you enlist the help of family and friends. Here’s why support is so key.
- Getting Active: It's a Team Effort
Social support is key when it comes to exercise. Here, one woman describes how she and her partner add activity to their everyday life.
- Sleep Hygiene: It Starts at Home
Getting good sleep is important for your health. Learn how you can build healthy sleeping habits for you and your loved ones.
- The Psychology of Habits That Stick
Setting goals for new habits is fun, but making them stick can be much harder. Read more to learn the science behind creating habits.
- What Women Should Know About Cardiovascular Tests
As a woman in the U.S., it’s crucial to know your chances of heart disease and stroke. Get the facts on screening and the importance of family history.
- Mammogram: Know the Facts
No one looks forward to a mammogram. But knowing what to expect and having the support of loved ones can help make the process a little less overwhelming.
- Easing Your Concerns About Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy isn’t as scary as it sounds. Learn how one woman uses her experience to help loved ones take this important test and safeguard their health.
- Dry January: A Month With No Alcohol?
Millions both in the U.K. and across the pond in the U.S. have vowed to skip alcohol for January 2024. What are the benefits?
- Gratitude: How to Practice It, Benefits
Building a gratitude practice can be a rewarding daily habit. Learn how to do it and what the benefits are.
- Cleaning Hit List: What to Disinfect
It’s key to know which items in your home you need to disinfect regularly. Learn what they are and how to keep them germ-free.
- How to Create a Greener, Cleaner, Healthier Home
“Going green” is good for your health and for the planet. Here’s how to bring the ideas to your home cleaning routine.
- Cleaning vs. Disinfecting: What's the Difference?
Cleaning can reduce the number of germs around you, but sometimes you need to take extra steps to disinfect. Here’s why – and how.
- How Clean Is Your House?
If the words "clean house" are always on your to-do list, here's help.
- Habits: Ways to Set Good Ones and Ditch the Bad
Habits are what can turn your goal or resolution into reality. Find out how to make good ones and break bad habits – for keeps.
- How to Make Your Staycation Feel Like a Getaway
Your next staycation shouldn’t be just time to catch up on errands. Here’s how to make sure it feels like a true break.
- How to Respond to Someone’s Guilt Trip
What do you say when you’re the target of someone’s guilt trip? And what do you tell yourself about it? Read expert advice.
- Did Your Doctor Fat-Shame You? Was It Weight Bias?
Many people have felt judged for being overweight. The fat phobia, weight bias, or weight stigma that other people subject them to can be harmful. Read experts’ advice.
- Psychology of a Song: What Makes These Grammy-Nominated Tracks Tick?
Ahead of this year’s awards, we explore why five of this year’s nominees might strike an emotional chord.
- Adult Sibling Rivalry: How to Make Peace
Sibling rivalries come down to how kids perceive they’re treated by parents. An imbalance causes strain even as adults. Empathy can help you make amends.
- Psychology Tips for New Year's Resolutions
Are you making New Year's resolutions? Find out what helps you set goals and make habits that you can stick with.
- Can Music Help You Study?
Learn the benefits of music and how it can help with studying.
- Hidden Reasons Why You Procrastinate
Do you often find yourself procrastinating? Learn more about why you do this.
- Candles: Health Benefits, Risks, and Safety Tips
Are candles bad for you? Learn more about the benefits, chemical risks, and best types of candles.
- Why Realistic Thinking Is Better Than Optimistic Thinking
Learn about why thinking realistically is better than simple optimism.
- Financial Matters if You Are Getting Divorced
Learn helpful tips for protecting your finances during a divorce.
- Anxious About Climate Change?
Learn how to relieve anxiety about climate change.
- Is Retail Therapy for Real?
Does shopping boost your mood? Learn why and what to be aware of.
- Basic Self-Defense Moves
Knowing basic self-defense moves is a great way to keep yourself safe. Learn tips for escaping an attack using self-defense techniques.
- How Daydreaming Can Be Good For You
Learn about how helpful daydreaming can be.
- Why Subtracting Instead of Adding May Be Better for Your Health
Subtracting instead of adding is better for your health. Read on to discover why it’s essential to reduce in some aspects of your life to improve your overall health.
- What Are Microplastics, and How Do We Reduce Them?
Plastics are everywhere. They can break apart so much that you can’t even see them. Learn about how to avoid plastics and plastic pollution.
- What to Do When You Feel Overwhelmed or Helpless
Learn what's helpful and not helpful when you feel overwhelmed or helpless.
- What to Do if You See Someone Being Harassed
Have you ever seen someone being harassed? Learn more about what to do if you find yourself in that situation.
- What to Say When Someone Says Something Sexist
Learn about helpful responses to sexist comments.
- What to Say When Faced With Ageism
Do you see ageism in your life? Learn how to identify ageism, what to say, and more.
- What Is Urge Surfing?
Urge surfing is a mental technique to manage urges and cravings. Learn more about what it is, why it’s important, and more.
- What to Say to Someone Trying to Lose Weight
Learn what’s helpful and not helpful to say to someone trying to lose weight.
- Tips From Master Gardeners
Learn gardening tips from master gardeners, including planning, planting, and upkeep of your garden.
- How to Be More Generous
Step-by-step tips on how to be more generous.
- How to Keep Your Social Media In Check
Learn how to develop a healthy relationship with your social media.
- How to Work With a Health Coach
Learn about health coaching, including what questions to ask so that you find the right coach.
- How to Unlearn Unconscious Bias
Everyone has unconscious biases. Learn how they work and how to change them.
- How to Make Your Commute More Sane
Learn about how to improve your commute, including how to adopt commuting rituals to keep your travels interesting.
- Stop Negative Thinking
Struggling to stop negative thoughts? Read more to learn how to shift your mind and transform the types of thoughts you have.
- Catastrophizing: The Worst Thing Ever
Learn what catastrophizing looks like and how to stop yourself from doing it.
- What Are Microaggressions?
“Microaggression” refers to when someone, either accidentally or purposefully, says or does something offensive to a member of a minority group.
- Clean Air Tips for Your Home
The air in your home may be as polluted as the air outside of it – or even more. Find out why and learn strategies for breathing easy.
- How to Forgive Yourself
Struggling to reconcile something you have done to another person? Read on to learn more about the process of self-forgiveness.
- How to Break Up With a Toxic Friend
Step by step tips on how to break up with a toxic friend.