Commercials and social media seem flooded with images of women using a face roller against flawless, unblemished skin. This beauty tool has recently gained popularity and become a staple in the self-care arsenal of skincare enthusiasts.
Despite their trendiness, face rollers have been used to promote skin health since the 17th century. They are made with stones like jade or rose quartz and can help boost blood circulation, ease tension in your face, and allow skin care products to absorb more effectively. Learn how to use a face roller and enjoy full face-sculpting benefits.
What Is Face Rolling?
Give your skin a glowy lift and address stubborn dark circles or treat puffy cheeks with a face rolling tool. Face rolling can stimulate your lymphatic system and stimulate blood flow. Adding a face rolling tool made from materials like jade, rose or quartz to your beauty routine can help ease tension and reduce inflammation in the skin. Putting your face roller in the fridge can calm facial redness, swelling, or irritation after invasive treatments like micro-needling or peels. Some studies suggest that using these roller stones may help relieve stress and lower cortisol levels, which are known to contribute to aging.
When using a face rolling tool, you want to massage or roll your skin away from your face. Use your face roller for up to 5 minutes daily to see a temporary boost in your appearance. Using your face roller in the morning can help you achieve a more sculpted effect. Be gentle when using the roller on your skin, and stop if it starts to hurt.
Face Rolling Benefits
Give your skin an immediate boost by using a face roller regularly for an average of five minutes. The act of massaging your face has a sculpting effect, and you can see this almost instantly as the puffiness in your face is gently reduced. Keep in mind that the effects of using a face roller may not last long.
Some potential benefits of using a face roller include:
- Facial massage: This may improve your mood, reduce anxiety, and temporarily enhance the look of your skin.
● Improve blood flow and lymphatic drainage: Using a face roller may improve blood circulation in your face and help brighten the appearance of your skin.
- Reduced puffiness: Decrease inflammation and puffiness by using a face roller. Put it in the fridge for a cooling effect that soothes the skin and can ease irritation.
- Even product distribution: A face roller can be used with moisturizer or oil. Using skin care products with your jade roller may help you avoid tugging at your skin by allowing the tool to glide effortlessly across your skin.
A face roller can be used in the final step of your skin care routine to allow ingredients in the products you use to penetrate more deeply. You can also use a roller stone over s sheet mask or makeup to achieve a more natural finish. Not only can you put a face roller in the fridge to deliver a cooling sensation, you can also dip it in hot water for 30 seconds, dry it, and use it over a face cream or sheet mask.
How to Choose a Face Roller
With so many different roller stones and styles, picking the right face roller may seem challenging. Some of the most common types of face rollers are made of rose quartz, jade, amethyst, or stainless steel. Store naturally cold materials like jade and metal in the refrigerator for a cooling sensation next time you use your face roller.
Try a rose quartz face roller if you want a stone that can hold temperature for long periods. Additionally, rose quartz is not as soft as jade, so it's more durable. However, the smoothness of jade may contour your face more efficiently.
How to Use a Face Roller
Massaging your face with a roller stone is relaxing and may even deliver benefits to your skin. Increase blood flow and reduce stress with a face roller on your face, neck, and clavicle. If you use your face roller two or three times a week for around five minutes, you may begin to see a difference in your face.
To use your face roller:
- Chill your face roller in the fridge for a cooling effect.
- Start by washing your face.
- Apply moisturizer, oils, or serums to your skin and use your face roller to distribute the products evenly.
- Roll down and out from the center of your face.
- Avoid going up and down, and don't go back and forth over the same spot, as it won’t help improve blood flow to the face.
- Repeat up to five rolls under the jawline and cheekbones and upward on the forehead.
- Move more slowly over your neck and jawline.
- Clean your face roller with rubbing alcohol after using it to keep bacteria and product residue from building up.
Does Face Rolling Work?
Using a face roller is similar to getting a lymphatic drainage massage. Applying light pressure to your face while rolling the tool across your skin can increase circulation, increase blood flow, and reduce inflammation. After using a face roller, you may also notice an improvement in the appearance of dark circles on your face or puffiness. Limited evidence suggests that using a facial roller may also improve a person’s mood by encouraging them to relax and take time for self-care.