Digestive Disorders Medical Reference
- Matches Pelvic Floor Muscles: What to Know
Find out what you need to know about pelvic floor muscles, their functions, and the ways they may affect health.
- What to Know About a Kidney Biopsy Procedure
Learn about kidney biopsies. Discover who needs this medical test and how to prepare.
- Why You Should Keep an EPI Diary
An exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) diary helps you manage symptoms and communicate with your medical team. Learn how to keep one.
- Eating Out With Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) shouldn’t keep you from eating out, so long as you plan ahead, eat right, and bring your enzyme replacements.
- Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and Stress
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) symptoms are stressful, and stress can make your condition worse. Find out how to cut stress and feel better.
- What Is Clear Liquid Diet?
A clear liquid diet helps your digestive system rest when you're very sick. It's also used to cleanse your bowels prior to an endoscopy or surgery.
- What to Know About a Ventral Hernia
Find out what you need to know about ventral hernias and their causes. Learn about their symptoms, dangers, and treatment.
- What Is an Anastomotic Leak?
Find out what you need to know about anastomotic leaks, their usual symptoms, causes, and how they’re treated.
- What Is EndoFLIP?
EndoFLIP is a diagnostic tool for gastrointestinal issues. Learn about the procedure, how to prepare for it, and what it diagnoses.
- What Is a Cholecystostomy?
A cholecystostomy is a procedure done to temporarily resolve gallbladder issues. Learn more about what to expect and more.
- What Is a Prolapsed Stoma?
Learn what causes this common complication of colostomy surgery, how to manage it yourself, and when to call your ostomy nurse.
- What Is Chemical Digestion?
Learn about chemical digestion. Discover how this digestive process helps your body get the nutrients that it needs.
- What is Protein Losing Enteropathy?
Discover the connection between protein-losing enteropathy and your lymph system. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for PLE.
- What to Know About Lactobacillus Rhamnosus (LGG) Probiotic
Find out what you need to know about LGG probiotic risks and benefits.
- What Is Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) Syndrome?
Learn what superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome is, including how you can identify it, treat it, and more.
- What to Know About Enemas
Find out what you need to know about enemas and discover the types, procedures, usage, and side effects of this condition.
- What Is the Pancreas?
Learn what the pancreas is and what its functions are in your body.
- Reactive Gastropathy vs. Gastritis: What's the Difference?
What are the differences between reactive gastropathy and gastritis? Learn more about the causes and symptoms.
- What Is Hematemesis (Vomiting Blood)?
Find out what you need to know about hematemesis and discover the causes, risks, and treatments.
- What Is a Mallory-Weiss Tear?
Discover what you need to know about Mallory-Weiss tears and learn how they are diagnosed and treated.
- What Is a Schatzki Ring?
A Schatzki ring is a thin ring of tissue in your esophagus. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction?
Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction occurs when the sphincter valve doesn't open normally, resulting in severe abdominal pain.
- What Are Acute Tubular Necrosis Causes?
Learn about acute tubular necrosis, a kidney disorder. Discover what causes it and how it is treated.
- What to Know About the Gut Brain Link
Discover everything you need to know about the gut brain link and how your gut health affects your overall health.
- What Is a Spigelian Hernia?
A spigelian hernia occurs when your organs bulge between the front abdominal muscles. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What to Know About Esophageal Stricture
Esophageal strictures make it hard to swallow or eat. Find out everything about esophageal strictures and discover their causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- What Is Mesenteric Panniculitis?
Learn what mesenteric panniculitis is and how it harms your body. What are the possible treatment options? Find out more.
- What Is Melanosis Coli?
Melanosis coli is a symptomless condition that's different from melanosis in colon. Learn more about its causes and treatment.
- What to Know About Urethral Stricture
Find out what you need to know about urethral, and discover the causes, treatments, and how it may affect health.
- What to Know About Antiemetics for Nausea
Find out what you need to know about antiemetics. Discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits, and. how taking them may affect your health.
- What Is Diaphragm Flutter (Belly Dancer's Dyskinesia)?
Diaphragm flutter is a rare disorder in which the diaphragm undergoes repeated involuntary contractions. Learn about its causes, symptoms, and treatment here.
- What to Know About Esophageal Diverticulum
Find out what you need to know about esophageal diverticulum, and discover the symptoms, causes, treatments, and how it may affect health.
- Bathroom Hacks for When You Spend a Lot of Time in There
From cleaning supplies to fun distractions, here are some handy items to keep in your bathroom when you have a digestive disorder.
- What to Know About Necrotizing Pancreatitis
Find out what you need to know about necrotizing pancreatitis, and discover its symptoms, causes, risks, and treatment options.
- What To Know About Hydrogen Breath Tests
Find out what you need to know about hydrogen breath tests, and discover how they work, what they can tell you about your health, and more.
- What Is a Vagotomy?
A vagotomy is when you have surgery to remove part of your vagus nerve. Learn about the uses, risks, and side effects for this treatment today.
- What Is a Biliary Obstruction?
A biliary obstruction is a blockage in your pancreatic or bile ducts. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Duodenitis?
Duodenitis is when the lining of your duodenum is inflamed. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Meckel’s Diverticulum?
Learn what Meckel’s diverticulum is, along with its causes, symptoms, and treatment. Discover how to manage the condition effectively.
- What Is Capsule Endoscopy?
Capsule endoscopy is a procedure that allows doctors to use a small, wireless camera to view your digestive tract. Learn about how it’s done, what to expect, and more.
- What to Know About Short Chain Fatty Acids in Food
Your body makes short-chain fatty acids during digestion. Learn about how they benefit your health today.
- What to Know About the String Test
Find out what you need to know about the string test, and discover when and why it's performed, and how it may affect health.
- What to Know About Probiotic Enema
What is a probiotic enema? Learn about the myths, realities, and risks of these colon tubes.
- What to Know About Pyloroplasty
Find out what you need to know about pyloroplasty, and discover how it may affect health.
- What Is Dysbiosis?
Learn what dysbiosis is, including how it’s caused, the importance of gut health, and more.
- What to Know About Yellow Bile
Learn about yellow bile, its causes, and how it affects your health. Discover how you can treat or manage the condition.
- What to Know About Diet After Gallbladder Surgery
Find out what you need to know about diet after gallbladder surgery, and discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits of certain foods and how they may affect health.
- What Is Fecal Fat?
What causes fecal fat? How to tell if you have too much fat in your stool and what it means for your health.
- What Is Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM)?
Bile acid malabsorption is a leading cause of chronic diarrhea. Learn about the symptoms and treatment options for this condition today.