Digestive Disorders Medical Reference
Tips for Parents of Children With Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Is It Eosinophilic Esophagitis or Something Else?
Many conditions and symptoms mimic the signs of eosinophilic esophagitis. Learn what they are, the tests that tell them apart, and how EoE is diagnosed.
- Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) can damage your liver for years without you knowing it. But you can make healthy choices and take control.
- Success With PERT: How to Best Use Your Treatment
Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy (PERT) helps your body digest food when your pancreas isn’t working the way it should. Find out how PERT does it.
- What to Know About a Kidney Biopsy Procedure
Learn about kidney biopsies. Discover who needs this medical test and how to prepare.
- Why You Should Keep an EPI Diary
An exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) diary helps you manage symptoms and communicate with your medical team. Learn how to keep one.
- Eating Out With Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) shouldn’t keep you from eating out, so long as you plan ahead, eat right, and bring your enzyme replacements.
- Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and Stress
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) symptoms are stressful, and stress can make your condition worse. Find out how to cut stress and feel better.
- What Is Clear Liquid Diet?
A clear liquid diet helps your digestive system rest when you're very sick. It's also used to cleanse your bowels prior to an endoscopy or surgery.
- What to Know About a Ventral Hernia
Find out what you need to know about ventral hernias and their causes. Learn about their symptoms, dangers, and treatment.
- What Is an Anastomotic Leak?
Find out what you need to know about anastomotic leaks, their usual symptoms, causes, and how they’re treated.
- What Is EndoFLIP?
EndoFLIP is a diagnostic tool for gastrointestinal issues. Learn about the procedure, how to prepare for it, and what it diagnoses.
- What Is a Cholecystostomy?
A cholecystostomy is a procedure done to temporarily resolve gallbladder issues. Learn more about what to expect and more.
- Medications for Managing Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Which medication is right for you when it comes to treating your EoE? Learn more about the options out there.
- Complications of Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Scarring and narrowing of the esophagus, anxiety, and depression are complications of eosinophilic esophagitis.
- How Your Doctor Chooses Treatments for Eosinophilic Esophagitis
When it comes to choosing which treatment is best for you, there are many reasons why your doctor may pick one over another. Find out why.
- What Is a Prolapsed Stoma?
Learn what causes this common complication of colostomy surgery, how to manage it yourself, and when to call your ostomy nurse.
- Advanced Treatment Options for Eosinophilic Esophagitis
When the first line of defense doesn't cut it, your doctors have other ways to treat your EoE. Learn more about what these treatment paths may look like.
- Can Dietary Changes Help With Eosinophilic Esophagitis?
How do your food choices raise or lower your inflammation? Find out how what you eat could play a role in treating your condition.
- The Challenges of Living With Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Want to learn how to manage this chronic condition and its symptoms? Find out more about living with EoE.
- What Is Chemical Digestion?
Learn about chemical digestion. Discover how this digestive process helps your body get the nutrients that it needs.
- What is Protein Losing Enteropathy?
Discover the connection between protein-losing enteropathy and your lymph system. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for PLE.
- What to Know About Lactobacillus Rhamnosus (LGG) Probiotic
Find out what you need to know about LGG probiotic risks and benefits.
- What Is Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) Syndrome?
Learn what superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome is, including how you can identify it, treat it, and more.
- What to Know About Enemas
Find out what you need to know about enemas and discover the types, procedures, usage, and side effects of this condition.
- Reactive Gastropathy vs. Gastritis: What's the Difference?
What are the differences between reactive gastropathy and gastritis? Learn more about the causes and symptoms.
- What Is the Pancreas?
Learn what the pancreas is and what its functions are in your body.
- What Is Hematemesis (Vomiting Blood)?
Find out what you need to know about hematemesis and discover the causes, risks, and treatments.
- What Is a Mallory-Weiss Tear?
Discover what you need to know about Mallory-Weiss tears and learn how they are diagnosed and treated.
- What Is a Schatzki Ring?
A Schatzki ring is a thin ring of tissue in your esophagus. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction?
Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction occurs when the sphincter valve doesn't open normally, resulting in severe abdominal pain.
- What Are Acute Tubular Necrosis Causes?
Learn about acute tubular necrosis, a kidney disorder. Discover what causes it and how it is treated.
- What to Know About the Gut Brain Link
Discover everything you need to know about the gut brain link and how your gut health affects your overall health.
- What Is a Spigelian Hernia?
A spigelian hernia occurs when your organs bulge between the front abdominal muscles. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What to Know About Esophageal Stricture
Esophageal strictures make it hard to swallow or eat. Find out everything about esophageal strictures and discover their causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- What Is Mesenteric Panniculitis?
Learn what mesenteric panniculitis is and how it harms your body. What are the possible treatment options? Find out more.
- What Is Melanosis Coli?
Melanosis coli is a symptomless condition that's different from melanosis in colon. Learn more about its causes and treatment.
- What to Know About Urethral Stricture
Find out what you need to know about urethral, and discover the causes, treatments, and how it may affect health.
- What to Know About Antiemetics for Nausea
Find out what you need to know about antiemetics. Discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits, and. how taking them may affect your health.
- What Is Diaphragm Flutter (Belly Dancer's Dyskinesia)?
Diaphragm flutter is a rare disorder in which the diaphragm undergoes repeated involuntary contractions. Learn about its causes, symptoms, and treatment here.
- What to Know About Esophageal Diverticulum
Find out what you need to know about esophageal diverticulum, and discover the symptoms, causes, treatments, and how it may affect health.
- Bathroom Hacks for When You Spend a Lot of Time in There
From cleaning supplies to fun distractions, here are some handy items to keep in your bathroom when you have a digestive disorder.
- What to Know About Necrotizing Pancreatitis
Find out what you need to know about necrotizing pancreatitis, and discover its symptoms, causes, risks, and treatment options.
- What To Know About Hydrogen Breath Tests
Find out what you need to know about hydrogen breath tests, and discover how they work, what they can tell you about your health, and more.
- What Is a Vagotomy?
A vagotomy is when you have surgery to remove part of your vagus nerve. Learn about the uses, risks, and side effects for this treatment today.
- What Is a Biliary Obstruction?
A biliary obstruction is a blockage in your pancreatic or bile ducts. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Meckel’s Diverticulum?
Learn what Meckel’s diverticulum is, along with its causes, symptoms, and treatment. Discover how to manage the condition effectively.
- What Is Duodenitis?
Duodenitis is when the lining of your duodenum is inflamed. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is Capsule Endoscopy?
Capsule endoscopy is a procedure that allows doctors to use a small, wireless camera to view your digestive tract. Learn about how it’s done, what to expect, and more.
- What to Know About Short Chain Fatty Acids in Food
Your body makes short-chain fatty acids during digestion. Learn about how they benefit your health today.