How Can I Prevent Nausea and Vomiting?
If you feel nauseated, here are some tips:
- Avoid foods that are hard to digest.
- If the smell of hot food makes you feel ill, try eating cool or cold meals.
- Eat six small meals each day instead of three large ones.
- Do not lay down after eating. Rest with your head higher than your feet.
- If you feel nauseated when you wake up in the morning, eat some lean meat or cheese before going to bed or keep plain crackers by the side of your bed and eat a few before getting up.
- Drink at least six glasses of water a day.
How Can I Prevent Vomiting?
If you are already feeling nauseated, these tips may help you avoid vomiting:
- Sit down or lie in a propped-up position. Physical activity will make you feel worse.
- Drink a small amount of a sweet beverage such as ginger ale or Gatorade. Drinks with sugar in them help calm the stomach. However, avoid acidic drinks like orange juice or grapefruit juice.
- Have a popsicle or a similar sweetened ice treat.