What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Ziprasidone Hcl to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Requires a Risk/Benefit Assessment:
If you are NURSING
- Absolute Contraindication: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST EXCRETION; LACTMED RECOMMENDS ALTERNATE TREATMENT
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Higher risk of tardive dyskinesia. Anticholinergic effects cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Increased risk of death in senile dementia. Cardiovascular-Risk of orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, QT prolongation. Avoid use if significant cardiovascular condition. Monitor for hyperglycemia, lipid changes, weight gain. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Urogenital-Avoid in patients with urinary retention.
Giving Ziprasidone Hcl to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Adverse reactions include weight gain, glucose and lipid abnormalities, QT prolongation. Safety and efficacy in pediatrics not established.
- management or monitoring precaution: Risk of sedation, dystonia, extrapyramidal reactions, QT prolongation, hyperprolactinemia, lipid, glucose abnormalities. Monitor weight. No safety and efficacy per manufacturer.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.