Osteoporosis Medical Reference
What Is Wolff's Law?
- What is the Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX)?
Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX): What to Know
- What to Know About a Hump Behind Your Shoulders
Find out what you need to know about a hump behind your shoulders, and discover the causes, treatments, and how it may affect health.
- Osteoporosis: When In-Person Treatment is Necessary
COVID-19 has made it tough to schedule medical appointments. When should people with osteoporosis seek in-person care?
- Getting Osteoporosis Support While Social Distancing
Sometimes you need to lean on others for help when you have osteoporosis. It’s still possible to get that support, even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Managing Osteoporosis via Telemedicine
The coronavirus pandemic may make it harder to visit the doctor. How can telemedicine help you manage your osteoporosis?
- Build Stronger Bones With Exercise
The right workouts can help you strengthen your bones and slow bone loss. Which ones should you try and what should you avoid?
- Simple Tips to Help Prevent Broken Bones
If you have osteoporosis, you're at risk for breaking bones. Find out how changes to your home and the right kind of exercise can help you prevent fractures.
- How Bone Fractures Can Change Your Life
When you have osteoporosis, the effects of a bone fracture go beyond the initial pain and discomfort. Learn about the most common fractures and how they might affect your life.
- Getting Back to Life After a Fracture
If you’ve recently had a fracture because of osteoporosis, here are a few tips for getting your independence back.
- A Healing Diet After Bone Fracture
What you eat and drink after a bone fracture can affect your recovery. Certain nutrients can help make your bones healthier.
- What Is a Bone Mineral Density Test?
A bone mineral density test examines segments of your bone through X-rays to detect osteoporosis. The test is quick and painless, and it gives you a snapshot of how strong they are.
- Osteoporosis Medications
If you have osteoporosis, the right medicine can help slow or even stop its progress. Learn what meds are out there, how they can help, and how to choose what’s right for you.
- What Is Osteopenia?
When you have osteopenia, your bones are weak but are still strong enough that they wouldn’t break easily during a fall. Find out more about this condition and how to strengthen your bones.
- What Happens When You Have a Hip Fracture?
You’ve broken your hip—now what? Here’s what you need to know if you have a hip fracture.
- What to Know About Surgery for Hip Fractures
So, you’ve broken your hip. Do you need hip fracture surgery? WebMD tells you what you should consider before you decide.
- What Is Paget's Disease of Bone?
Find out more about this condition that can cause bones to enlarge and press on other body parts.
- Parathyroid and Osteoporosis: What's the Connection?
How does your parathyroid affect your bone health? Find out about the link between hyperparathyroidism, calcium, and osteoporosis.
- What is Osteomalacia?
Osteomalacia makes a body bend and break. Learn more about this “soft bone” disease.
- Confused About Calcium Supplements?
What do you need to know about taking a dietary supplement to get more calcium? Find out how much you should take, what kind is best, and how to avoid side effects.
- Osteoporosis and Ankle Fracture Repair
Learn the options for repairing your broken ankle when you have osteoporosis.
- How to Treat a Broken Hip or Pelvis
Learn about the treatment options for a hip or pelvis fracture when you have osteoporosis.
- Symptoms of Fractures Due to Osteoporosis
Learn the symptoms you'll get if you have osteoporosis and you break your wrist, hip, or spine.
- Treatment for Your Broken Shoulder
See your doctor right away if you fall and hurt your shoulder. If it's broken, quick treatment can speed your recovery.
- Recovery From Spinal Compression Fracture Surgery
Find out what to expect during recovery from surgery for spinal compression fractures.
- Treat Spinal Compression Fractures Without Surgery
Find out about ways to relieve pain and heal spinal compression fractures without surgery, including physical therapy, rest, and back braces.
- Osteoporosis Bone Fractures: What Are the Treatments?
Facts about treatment options for all types of fractures.
- Best Exercise for Osteoporosis
A regular program of walking, and strength and flexibility training can help improve osteoporosis and prevent its onset. WebMD tells you more about bone-strengthening exercises.
- Osteopenia Treatment
WebMD explains osteopenia, including medications and lifestyle changes to treat and prevent this bone-thinning condition.
- Strontium for Osteoporosis
The benefits and effects of strontium treatment for osteoporosis and bone health.
- Osteoporosis Glossary
Are you at risk for osteoporosis? WebMD explains.
- Osteoporosis and Spine Fractures
Has osteoporosis put you at risk for a spinal fracture? Here’s what you need to know about your risk for a fractured spine.
- What Is Osteoporosis? What You Need to Know
WebMD explains the causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of osteopenia and osteoporosis, both chronic bone-loss conditions.
- Premenopausal Osteoporosis
Certain factors put premenopausal women at higher risk for osteoporosis, or bone loss, some within their control. WebMD explains.
- Osteoporosis Prevention: What You Need to Know
Want to learn more about osteoporosis prevention? WebMD provides in-depth information about reducing risk factors for the bone-thinning disease.
- Causes of Osteoporosis
WebMD explains the causes and prevention of osteoporosis. Discover what may increase your risk so you can take charge of your bone health.
- Osteoporosis and Bone Density Tests
Learn more about bone density tests and how these scans can help your doctor assess your bone health and determine if you have osteoporosis.
- What Is Juvenile Osteoporosis? What Are the Types?
Children and teens can get osteoporosis -- called juvenile osteoporosis - that can make their bones prone to fracture. Learn more from WebMD about its causes and treatment.
- How to Prevent Falls at Home
When you have osteoporosis, a fall can lead to broken bones. We’ve got tips on how you can stay upright.
- Vitamin D for Osteoporosis
WebMD explains the importance of adequate calcium and vitamin D intake for bone health.
- Forteo for Osteoporosis
Forteo (teriparatide) is the only FDA-approved osteoporosis medication that builds bone. WebMD takes a quick look at this drug.
- Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs)
WebMD explains various selective estrogen receptor modulators, a class of drugs used to boost estrogen in pre- and postmenopausal women.
- Osteoporosis Pain: What You Can Do
WebMD examines drug and nondrug treatments to relieve the pain of osteoporosis.
- DEXA Scan (Dual X-ray Absorptiometry) to Measure Bone Health
How is bone mineral density measured? Learn more about DXA, also called DEXA, a common test used to diagnose osteoporosis.
- Treatment for Spinal Compression Fractures
From medicine to surgery, learn about treatments for spinal compression fractures here.
- Symptoms of a Spinal Compression Fracture
The signs and symptoms of spinal compression fractures can come on gradually and vary from person to person. Learn what to look for -- especially if you're a woman with osteoporosis.
- Causes of Spinal Compression Fractures
Spinal compression fractures -- often caused by osteoporosis -- are a bigger problem than many people realize. Learn more.
- Understanding Osteoporosis -- Symptoms
Understand the symptoms of osteoporosis from the experts at WebMD.
- What Are the Treatments for Osteoporosis?
WebMD looks at various preventive measures and treatments for osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis: Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn the basics about osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment from the health experts at WebMD.