What Are the Signs and Symptoms of an Ingrown Nail?
The signs and symptoms of an ingrown nail include:
- Redness around a toenail, usually the big toe
- The sharp end of the nail will be pressing into the flesh on one or both sides of the nail.
- Pus coming from the area around your nail
- Your skin folds over the nail
When to Call Your Doctor About an Ingrown Nail
Let the doctor know if:
- You have signs of infection, like severe pain or pus.
- The pain doesn't go away after you treat the nail.
- Your nails are so hard or thick that you can’t treat the nail.
- You have diabetes, which raises your risk of complications from foot infections.