When Your Blood Sugar Gets Too Low
If you have diabetes, ways you can prevent hypoglycemia include:
- Eat at least three evenly spaced meals each day with between-meal snacks as prescribed.
- Plan your meals no more than 4 to 5 hours apart.
- Exercise 30 minutes to 1 hour after meals. Check your sugars before and after exercise, and discuss with your doctor what types of changes can be made.
- Double-check your insulin and dose of diabetes medicine before taking it.
- Know when your medicine is at its peak level.
- Test your blood sugar as often as directed by your doctor.
- Carry an identification bracelet that says you have diabetes.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.