Sample Daily Menu Options continued...
A bean-based lunch such as:
- Bean burrito with whole-grain tortilla
- Hummus with whole grain-bread or vegetable dippers
- Vegetarian or lean-meat chili or bean stew
Main-course salad made with:
- Dark green lettuce
- Lots of vegetables
- Lean meat, fish, beans, or cheese plus avocado and nuts, if desired
- Dressing made with extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, or yogurt
High-fiber carb choices:
- Cooked grains like brown rice, quinoa, barley, bulgur, or amaranth
- Whole wheat bread, tortilla, pita bread, or buns
- Colorful vegetables on the side or in the main course
- Dark green lettuce for a side or dinner salad
- Fresh fruit on the side or with the entrée
Lean protein (low in saturated fat):
- Grilled or baked fish, by itself or in a mixed dish such as tacos
- Skinless poultry -- grilled, baked, or stir-fried
- Lean beef or pork -- sirloin, tenderloin -- with no visible fat
- Part skim-milk cheese in entrees, such as eggplant parmesan, vegetarian pizza on whole wheat crust, vegetable lasagna, or enchiladas
- A sensible amount of extra virgin olive oil or canola oil used for cooking
- Nuts added to entrée or side dishes
- Avocado or olives with entrée or side dishes
Homemade Napa Almond Chicken Salad Sandwich
To add a couple of servings of higher-fiber and nutrient-rich whole grains, serve this chicken salad on 2 slices of 100% whole-grain bread or in a whole-wheat pita pocket. Or make a wrap sandwich with a whole-wheat flour tortilla.
Makes 4 or more servings.
3 cups shredded roasted or rotisserie chicken, skin removed
1 cup red grapes, cut in half
2/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup sliced almonds, honey roasted or plain roasted
1/2 cup low-fat or light mayonnaise (or nonfat plain Greek yogurt)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 leaves romaine lettuce
8 slices of tomato
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken, grapes, celery, and almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients with whisk or spoon until smooth and blended. Drizzle dressing over the chicken and grape mixture and stir to blend.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto bread to make 4 or more sandwiches. Garnish with lettuce and tomato, if desired.
Per serving, including bread (if 4 per recipe): 500 calories, 42 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 2.6 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated fat, 5 g polyunsaturated fat, 96 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 764 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.4 gram, omega-6 fatty acids = 4.5 grams.
Spinach & Mushroom Bagel Pizza
Compared to a personal pan pizza at a popular pizza chain, a serving of these spinach and mushroom bagel pizzas has about half of the calories, fat, and sodium. It also has two-thirds less saturated fat and cholesterol and three times the fiber.