Sample Recipes continued...
Makes 4 or more servings.
3 cups shredded roasted or rotisserie chicken, skin removed
1 cup red grapes, cut in half
2/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup sliced almonds, honey roasted or plain roasted
1/2 cup low-fat or light mayonnaise (or nonfat plain Greek yogurt)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 leaves romaine lettuce
8 slices of tomato
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken, grapes, celery, and almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients with whisk or spoon until smooth and blended. Drizzle dressing over the chicken and grape mixture and stir to blend.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto bread to make 4 or more sandwiches. Garnish with lettuce and tomato, if desired.
Per serving, including bread (if 4 per recipe): 500 calories, 42 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 2.6 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated fat, 5 g polyunsaturated fat, 96 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 764 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.4 gram, omega-6 fatty acids = 4.5 grams.
Spinach & Mushroom Bagel Pizza
Compared to a personal pan pizza at a popular pizza chain, a serving of these spinach and mushroom bagel pizzas has about half of the calories, fat, and sodium. It also has two-thirds less saturated fat and cholesterol and three times the fiber.
Makes 2 servings (2 bagel pizzas each)
2 whole wheat bagels
1/3 cup pizza sauce (or 2 tablespoons pesto or light garlic & herb spreadable cheese)
2/3 cup shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (button, crimini, or baby portobello)
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Black pepper to taste
- Cut whole wheat bagels in half with a serrated knife to make 4 pizza crust circles. Place them cut side up on a baking sheet. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of pizza sauce (or 1/2 tablespoon of pesto or light garlic & herb cheese spread) over each pizza half.
- Top each bagel half with 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Heat a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until lightly browned. Stir in the spinach leaves and minced garlic. Stir and sauté until the spinach is bright green and shrunken down (about 1 minute). Add black pepper to taste.
- Spread the spinach and mushroom mixture evenly over the pizza halves and broil about 4 inches from the heat until cheese is bubbling. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.