Sample Recipes continued...
Makes 2 servings (2 bagel pizzas each)
2 whole wheat bagels
1/3 cup pizza sauce (or 2 tablespoons pesto or light garlic & herb spreadable cheese)
2/3 cup shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (button, crimini, or baby portobello)
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Black pepper to taste
- Cut whole wheat bagels in half with a serrated knife to make 4 pizza crust circles. Place them cut side up on a baking sheet. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of pizza sauce (or 1/2 tablespoon of pesto or light garlic & herb cheese spread) over each pizza half.
- Top each bagel half with 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Heat a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until lightly browned. Stir in the spinach leaves and minced garlic. Stir and sauté until the spinach is bright green and shrunken down (about 1 minute). Add black pepper to taste.
- Spread the spinach and mushroom mixture evenly over the pizza halves and broil about 4 inches from the heat until cheese is bubbling. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
Per serving (using pizza sauce): 452 calories, 25 g protein, 62 g carbohydrate, 12.5 g fat, 4.7 g saturated fat, 4.8 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 11.5 g fiber, 836 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.2 grams, omega-6 fatty acids = 2.8 grams
Crockpot Coconut Curry Chicken Casserole
This provides you with veggies, whole grains, and lean meat all in one delicious dish. You can use light coconut milk instead of the fat-free half-and-half and coconut extract.
Makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt to taste (optional)
2 cups fat-free half-and-half
2 teaspoons coconut extract
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons red curry powder
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
2 small red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), cut into thin strips or 1-inch pieces
3 cups fresh or frozen green beans (stem ends removed), cut into 1-inch long pieces
Garnish: 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, natural unsweetened or flaked (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with pepper and salt (if desired) and add to skillet. Brown well on both sides (about 3 minutes each).
- While chicken is browning, combine fat-free half-and-half, coconut extract, chicken broth, red curry, and brown rice in slow cooker dish. Add browned chicken on top and arrange bell pepper and green beans over it. Cover the slow cooker and heat on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Serve chicken with some of the rice, vegetables, and curry coconut sauce. Sprinkle on some toasted coconut, if desired. (To toast coconut on a stove, spread it in the bottom of a nonstick skillet or frying pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the coconut is golden brown.
Per serving: 371 calories, 36 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 5.5 g fiber, 271 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 18%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.1 gram, omega-6 fatty acids = 1.3 grams.