What are the different types of protein in protein shakes? continued...
Whey protein is:
- A protein found in milk
- In your body for a shorter time
- A good supplement after intense workouts
Casein protein is:
- The main protein in milk
- In your body for a longer time
- A good supplement for meal replacements or to take before bed
Soy protein is as effective as most animal sources of protein, although many male athletes think of it as a 'girl's protein', Antonio says. 'But this is where public perception and scientific reality clash'. Research doesn't support the fears that soy protein lowers blood levels of testosterone or reduces lean body mass.
Some women may take soy protein shakes in the hopes of curbing menopausal symptoms. But research results have been mixed.
Soy protein is:
- A plant-based source of protein
- As digestible as other sources of protein
- Known for its antioxidant capabilities
- A good supplement for meal replacements