Health & Diet Medical Reference
What Happens if Your B12 Deficiency Is Left Untreated?
- What Can Cause a B12 Deficiency?
Most people have enough B12, but a deficiency can happen. Learn about the most common causes, from what you eat to other health conditions you have.
- Vitamin B12: What to Know
Vitamin B12 is essential for good health, but some people may not be getting enough. Learn about symptoms of B12 deficiency and how it can be treated.
- B12 Deficiency in Children: What to Know
Children need vitamin B12 to help their brains and bodies develop and grow. When they don’t get enough of the vitamin, they can feel weak and tired, and it can cause other health problems.
- Health Benefits of Loquat
Find out how loquat helps everything from cancer to diabetes.
- Eating Out With Hyperkalemia
If you have hyperkalemia, you may find it hard to manage your potassium when you eat out. Here are ways to dine successfully.
- General Guidelines to Lower Your Potassium Intake
Follow these simple tips to lower your potassium levels through your diet.
- Can These Popular Diets Lower Potassium?
Need to keep your potassium in check? Read on to see how these popular diets may (or may not) help.
- How Can You Eat Less Potassium?
If you have too much potassium in your blood, a few simple changes to your eating habits can help protect your health.
- Health Benefits of Wine Cap Mushrooms
Find out what health benefits you can get from wine cap mushrooms.
- Food Deserts: What to Know
Learn about these areas with limited access to nutritious and affordable foods, along with what causes them and what to do if you're affected.
- What Is Culinary Medicine?
Culinary medicine is a new field taught in some medical school programs. It looks at the ways we can use food as medicine. Learn more here.
- What to Know About Sea Vegetables
Learn about sea vegetables. Discover the types of edible seaweed and their associated health benefits.
- Cheddar Cheese: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about cheddar cheese, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- What to Know About Ramen Noodles
Find out what ramen noodles are, how to make ramen noodles, and if they are healthy.
- What to Know About Banana Spiders
There are several species of spiders that have earned the nickname "banana spiders." Learn what those are, what they look like, and which ones are venomous.
- What to Know About Dietitians vs. Nutritionists
Find out what you need to know about dietitians vs. nutritionists, their educational qualifications, professional roles, and more.
- What to Know About Absinthe
What is absinthe? Learn about absinthe effects, whether absinthe is legal and safe, and the history of absinthe.
- What Is the 1200 Calorie Diet?
Learn what you need to know about the 1200-calorie diet, and find out if it’s a healthy and effective way to lose weight.
- Cottage Cheese: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about cottage cheese, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- Coconut Sugar: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about coconut sugar, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- What to Know About Pine Needle Tea
Learn about pine needle tea. Discover how it’s made and the health benefits that it can provide.
- What Are Genetically Modified Foods?
Genetically modified foods (or GM foods) are bioengineered foods that contain genetically modified organisms (or GMOs). Why are scientists changing food, and is it safe?
- What Are Simple Sugars?
Simple sugars are the most basic types of sugar, and your body uses them for energy. Learn where simple sugars are found, how they are different from complex sugars, and the impact that both can have on your body.
- Is Stale Food Safe? How to Tell When Stale Food Is Safe to Eat
Stale food has lost some of its texture and taste, but is it safe to eat? Learn why food goes stale, if it's still safe, and how to prevent staleness.
- What Are Emulsifiers?
Is eating emulsified food good or bad for you? Read on to learn about the different emulsifiers and how they can impact your health.
- What Are Natural Preservatives?
Find out what you need to know about natural preservatives and how they may be better for your health.
- What Are Saskatoon Berries?
Saskatoon berries are edible berry-like fruits. Learn about their nutrition, health benefits, and more.
- Apple Cider: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about apple, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- Steps to Changing Bad Eating Habits
Shift away from bad eating habits so you can reach your health goals. Here’s how to get started.
- Benefits of Chicken of the Woods
Find out how more about chicken of the woods, its health benefits, and how to eat this mushroom.
- Health Benefits of Salmonberry
Find out how salmonberry can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Benefits of Pheasant Back Mushroom
Find out how pheasant back mushroom can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Benefits of Shaggy Mane Mushroom
Find out what you need to know about shaggy mane mushrooms, including their benefits, downsides, and more.
- Health Benefits of Giant Puffball
Find out how giant puffball mushrooms are beneficial for your health.
- Health Benefits of Bolete Mushroom
Find out how Bolete mushrooms can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Effects of Droughts
With increases in climate change, droughts are growing larger and worse. What are droughts, and how do they affect your health?
- What Is Palmitic Acid?
Curious about palmitic acid, its uses, and its health effects? Read our guide to curb your curiosity!
- Health Benefits of Pawpaw Fruit
While they’re native to the U.S., pawpaws look and smell like mangoes. Here’s more about a rare and nutritious fruit you don’t often see in stores.
- What Are Processed Foods?
Processed foods refer to food that’s changed from its natural state. Some are more nutritious than others. Learn about how these foods affect your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Runner Beans?
Find out what makes runner beans unique and how they impact your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Tatsoi?
Find out all you need to know about tatsoi, including its health benefits, how to cook it, and how to grow it.
- Are There Health Benefits of Pea Shoots?
Learn about pea shoots, how they benefit your health, and how to incorporate them into your diet.
- Are There Health Benefits of Kabocha Squash?
Find out how kabocha squash can be beneficial for your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli)?
Learn about gai lan, also called Chinese Broccoli, and discover its amazing health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Enoki Mushrooms
Find out how enoki mushrooms can benefit your health.
- Health Benefits of Snake Fruit
Learn about the health benefits of snake fruit.
- Health Benefits of Saba Fruit
Learn more about the health benefits of saba fruit, its nutritional value, and health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Matooke
Find out about the health benefits of matooke: how to prepare and enjoy plantain bananas.
- Health Benefits of Ambarella Fruit
Find out how eating ambarella fruits can be beneficial for your health and whether it is safe to eat during pregnancy.