Health & Diet Medical Reference
- Food Deserts: What to Know
Learn about these areas with limited access to nutritious and affordable foods, along with what causes them and what to do if you're affected.
- What Is Culinary Medicine?
Culinary medicine is a new field taught in some medical school programs. It looks at the ways we can use food as medicine. Learn more here.
- Vitamin B12: What to Know
Vitamin B12 is essential for good health, but some people may not be getting enough. Learn about symptoms of B12 deficiency and how it can be treated.
- What to Know About Sea Vegetables
Learn about sea vegetables. Discover the types of edible seaweed and their associated health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Lobster Mushroom
What is lobster mushroom? Find out more about lobster mushroom health benefits, their nutritional value, and adding lobster mushroom to your diet.
- Cheddar Cheese: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about cheddar cheese, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- What to Know About Ramen Noodles
Find out what ramen noodles are, how to make ramen noodles, and if they are healthy.
- What to Know About Dietitians vs. Nutritionists
Find out what you need to know about dietitians vs. nutritionists, their educational qualifications, professional roles, and more.
- What to Know About Absinthe
What is absinthe? Learn about absinthe effects, whether absinthe is legal and safe, and the history of absinthe.
- What to Know About Banana Spiders
There are several species of spiders that have earned the nickname "banana spiders." Learn what those are, what they look like, and which ones are venomous.
- What Is the 1200 Calorie Diet?
Learn what you need to know about the 1200-calorie diet, and find out if it’s a healthy and effective way to lose weight.
- Coconut Sugar: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about coconut sugar, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- Cottage Cheese: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about cottage cheese, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- What to Know About Pine Needle Tea
Learn about pine needle tea. Discover how it’s made and the health benefits that it can provide.
- What Are Genetically Modified Foods?
Genetically modified foods (or GM foods) are bioengineered foods that contain genetically modified organisms (or GMOs). Why are scientists changing food, and is it safe?
- What Are Simple Sugars?
Simple sugars are the most basic types of sugar, and your body uses them for energy. Learn where simple sugars are found, how they are different from complex sugars, and the impact that both can have on your body.
- What Are Natural Preservatives?
Find out what you need to know about natural preservatives and how they may be better for your health.
- What Are Emulsifiers?
Is eating emulsified food good or bad for you? Read on to learn about the different emulsifiers and how they can impact your health.
- Is Stale Food Safe? How to Tell When Stale Food Is Safe to Eat
Stale food has lost some of its texture and taste, but is it safe to eat? Learn why food goes stale, if it's still safe, and how to prevent staleness.
- What Are Saskatoon Berries?
Saskatoon berries are edible berry-like fruits. Learn about their nutrition, health benefits, and more.
- Apple Cider: Are There Health Benefits?
Find out what the research says about apple, who should avoid it, and how it may affect your health.
- Steps to Changing Bad Eating Habits
Shift away from bad eating habits so you can reach your health goals. Here’s how to get started.
- How to Eat Out When You're Gluten Free
These tips on eating out when you're gluten-free will help you enjoy dining out in restaurants without worrying about your dietary restrictions.
- Benefits of Chicken of the Woods
Find out how more about chicken of the woods, its health benefits, and how to eat this mushroom.
- Health Benefits of Shaggy Mane Mushroom
Find out what you need to know about shaggy mane mushrooms, including their benefits, downsides, and more.
- Health Benefits of Pheasant Back Mushroom
Find out how pheasant back mushroom can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Benefits of Salmonberry
Find out how salmonberry can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Effects of Famine
Famine is more than hunger and food scarcity. It’s a disaster that leads to malnutrition, death, starvation, and disease. Learn more here.
- Health Benefits of Giant Puffball
Find out how giant puffball mushrooms are beneficial for your health.
- Health Benefits of Avocado Toast
Find out how to make avocado toast a great breakfast or brunch choice, avocado nutrition, and more.
- Health Benefits of Bolete Mushroom
Find out how Bolete mushrooms can be beneficial for your health.
- Health Effects of Droughts
With increases in climate change, droughts are growing larger and worse. What are droughts, and how do they affect your health?
- What Is Palmitic Acid?
Curious about palmitic acid, its uses, and its health effects? Read our guide to curb your curiosity!
- Health Benefits of Pawpaw Fruit
While they’re native to the U.S., pawpaws look and smell like mangoes. Here’s more about a rare and nutritious fruit you don’t often see in stores.
- What Is Urban Agriculture?
Urban agriculture brings produce and livestock to cities and suburban areas, and can reduce food deserts. Find out about the benefits and challenges.
- Duck Fat: Is It Good for You?
Find out what the research says about duck fat, who should eat it, and how it might affect your health.
- What Are Processed Foods?
Processed foods refer to food that’s changed from its natural state. Some are more nutritious than others. Learn about how these foods affect your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Runner Beans?
Find out what makes runner beans unique and how they impact your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Tatsoi?
Find out all you need to know about tatsoi, including its health benefits, how to cook it, and how to grow it.
- Are There Health Benefits of Pea Shoots?
Learn about pea shoots, how they benefit your health, and how to incorporate them into your diet.
- Are There Health Benefits of Kabocha Squash?
Find out how kabocha squash can be beneficial for your health.
- Are There Health Benefits of Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli)?
Learn about gai lan, also called Chinese Broccoli, and discover its amazing health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Enoki Mushrooms
Find out how enoki mushrooms can benefit your health.
- Health Benefits of Snake Fruit
Learn about the health benefits of snake fruit.
- Health Benefits of Saba Fruit
Learn more about the health benefits of saba fruit, its nutritional value, and health benefits.
- Health Benefits of Matooke
Find out about the health benefits of matooke: how to prepare and enjoy plantain bananas.
- Health Benefits of Ambarella Fruit
Find out how eating ambarella fruits can be beneficial for your health and whether it is safe to eat during pregnancy.
- Health Benefits of African Eggplant
Find out the health benefits of african eggplant. Learn about the different types of African eggplants, how African eggplants are prepared, and African eggplant nutrition.
- What to Know About Yellow Palms
Learn more about yellow palms, what causes the condition, and how to get treatment.