Many prescription and nonprescription medicines can cause constipation. Examples include:
- Some blood pressure medicines.
- Cold medicines (antihistamines).
- Calcium and iron supplements.
- Narcotic pain medicines.
If you think that the constipation is caused by a medicine:
- For prescription medicines, call the doctor who prescribed it to see whether you or your child should stop taking the medicine or take a different one. An appointment may not be needed.
- For nonprescription medicines, stop using the medicine. Call your doctor if you feel that you or your child still needs to take the medicine.