WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 60
Great for breakfast on the go! Golden roasted nuts, seeds and oats are enveloped by flavorful almond butter in these delectably chewy, no-fuss energy bars. Unrefined turbinado sugar adds a deep caramelly undertone. Feel free to use light brown sugar instead. Bars stored at room temperature will be softer than those that are refrigerated.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
- Step 3
- Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Step 4
- Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com