WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 30
Borscht is a simple beet soup typically made with beef broth and garnished with sour cream. We give it a kick with horseradish. For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth instead.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beets, steamed cubed, 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add broth, potato, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potato is just tender, about 8 minutes. Add beets and vinegar; return to a boil. Cover and continue cooking until the broth is deep red and the potato is very soft, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Step 2
- Combine sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl. Serve the soup with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkle of parsley.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com