This ooey-gooey pasta dish is a crowd-pleaser for adults and kids alike—think rich and creamy macaroni-and-cheese tossed with cauliflower and chicken. Serve with a spinach salad.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (1/2 inch)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Gruyere, or Swiss cheese shredded
- 3 cups cooked chicken, or turkey shredded (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives or scallion greens, chopped
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook until the pasta and florets are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse and return to the pot.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken (or turkey) and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Step 3
- Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com