Reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk make this soup creamy without all the fat. The pudgy brown mushrooms called cremini are generally firmer and richer-tasting than common white mushrooms.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth, or 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- dry sherry, to taste, optional
- Step 1
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, scraping up any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Step 3
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Gently heat until the soup is hot but not boiling. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and sherry (if using).
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com