WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 40 mins
Try these garlicky-dilly pickled carrots chopped in your dinner salad for a burst of flavor.
- 2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch sticks (about 9 cups)
- 12-24 sprigs fresh dill
- 3-6 whole large cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Step 1
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the carrot sticks, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the carrots to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining carrots.
- Step 2
- Drain the cooled carrots and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Divide the dill and garlic among the jars.
- Step 3
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Step 4
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the carrots completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Step 5
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com