WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 25 mins
Lamb and eggplant are combined in dishes throughout the Mediterranean. Together they deliver a complex, hearty, earthy flavor that's truly satisfying. In this dish, toasted pine nuts and tangy feta cheese are excellent accents.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 4 ounces ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef), garlic and fennel seed in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until the lamb (or beef) is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Step 3
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com