Radicchio is a brawlingly bitter green that becomes impossibly meek and mild when simmered. Paired with some cheese and the meat from a rotisserie chicken, it cooks up quickly into a memorable pasta dish.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 head radicchio, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Step 1
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Step 2
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Place radicchio and the reserved liquid in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pasta, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, oil, chicken, vinegar and pepper and continue cooking until the cheese starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pasta garnished with walnuts and the remaining cheese.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com