WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 4 hrs
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
- 12 ounces tomatillos
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 poblano or bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 2 pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Step 1
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Step 2
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top; but don't stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Step 3
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com