You get two sides in one with this dish—whole-grain barley along with crisp matchsticks of vitamin- and fiber-rich snap peas. Serve with roasted or grilled salmon or chicken.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add barley and cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Rinse the barley under cool water and transfer to a large bowl. Add snap peas, parsley, onion, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com