Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier
WebMD

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine
WebMD

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion
    WebMD

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community
    WebMD

    Community

    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Birth Control Health Center

Font Size
A
A
A

Not Your Mother's Birth Control

Women today have a wide array of new and easy birth control options. Just pick your preference!
By
WebMD Feature

Reading a popular women's magazine the other day, I was startled to discover that what looked like one of those peel-off makeup samples wasn't a makeup sample at all. It was "The Patch," a form of birth control that you slap on your skin once a week. Of course, the magazine sample didn't actually contain the combination of estrogen and progestin that the real patch releases -- it was just to demonstrate how thin and unnoticeable the real thing is.

A few pages later, I found an ad for NuvaRing, an insertable hormonal contraceptive. After decades of little to no exciting news in contraceptives for women, suddenly we're riding a wave of promising new birth control methods.

Recommended Related to Birth Control

The Birth Control Sponge: What to Know

It’s a form of birth control that some women use. This small, doughnut-shaped device is coated with spermicide. You don’t need a prescription for the sponge, which is made of polyurethane foam.

Read the The Birth Control Sponge: What to Know article > >

"This is really unprecedented," says Stephanie B. Tiel, M.D., a clinical instructor of obstetrics and gynecology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. "There are four new FDA-approved methods of contraception now on the market."

Tiel calls the new options "the best of both worlds" -- they have the quick reversibility of the pill, should you decide to get pregnant, but they're longer-acting systems that don't require busy women to remember to do something at the same time every day.

"You Don't Have to Think About It"

First on the market was Mirena, an intrauterine device (IUD) that's been used in Europe for over ten years. Mirena releases levonorgestrel, a hormone commonly found in the pill, to create a "hostile uterine environment" and prevent pregnancy. Inserted (and removed) by a physician, Mirena works for up to five years, with a failure rate of less than 1%.

"You don't have to think about it. Once it's in, it's in," says Tiel. "It's just as effective as having your tubes tied, only it's reversible." Another big plus: Mirena causes lighter periods for most women. In fact, some 20% of Mirena users don't menstruate at all. "It's totally normal. The hormone in the IUD thins the ¼ lining [of the uterus] so you still ovulate, but you don't bleed," Tiel explains. Most of the other 80% experience 1-2 days of very light bleeding, a huge relief if you normally have problem periods.

1 | 2 | 3

Today on WebMD

IUD
Here's what to expect.
man opening condom wrapper
Do you know the right way to use them?
 
birth control pills
Here's what to do next.
doctor and patient
His and her options.
 
Concerned teenage girl
Slideshow
hospital gown
Quiz
 
Birth Control Pills Weight Gain
Article
pregnancy test and calendar
Article
 
contraceptive pills
Slideshow
Young couple looking at each other, serious
Article
 
woman reading pregnancy test result
Article
calendar
Article