A few fine lines, a hint of gray. The normal changes of aging are inevitable. But with skin rejuvenation products, facial treatments that don't involve surgery, and hair care products, there are plenty of options for women over 50 who want to enhance their natural beauty.
Skin and Hair and the Effects of Age
Time in the sun, smoking, diet, and heredity all have effects that become evident on your skin as you get older. Stress, gravity, and obesity also affect the way skin looks. And as you age, your skin doesn't produce new cells as quickly as it used to. So it gradually becomes less elastic and prone to dryness.
Something similar happens to cells that give your hair its color. Hair pigment cells become less efficient at renewing themselves, which makes hair gray.
8 Natural Beauty Tips for Your Skin
A few simple steps are all you need to care for your skin as you get older. These natural beauty tips can get you started.
- If you smoke, stop. Research shows that smoking prematurely ages your skin.
- Just say no to sunbathing and tanning salons. Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The sun's rays are the strongest then. If you must be outside, wear a protective hat, long-sleeved shirt, pants, and sunglasses. Freckles, age spots, and blotchy complexions are linked to sun exposure.
- Wear sunscreen religiously. Use products with at least 7% of zinc oxide and a SPF 30 or higher -- with both UVB and UVA protection every day. Reapply your sunscreen to exposed skin every two hours when you are outside. Sun damage can result in such changes as fine wrinkles and an uneven skin tone.
- Check your skin often for skin cancer. If there are changes that worry you, call your doctor right away. Older, fair-skinned people are at high risk and must have a yearly check.
- Soothe dry skin. Use a humidifier. Also use moisturizing soaps and lotions. See your doctor if you still have problems.
- Eat right and hydrate. Good nutrition helps the body repair skin. Drinking lots of water helps hydrate skin from the inside out.
- Try anti-aging products. If you're over age 50, over-the-counter creams and lotions can help enhance your natural beauty by rejuvenating your skin. Pentapeptides (a chemical compound in many new products) may help prompt skin cells to produce more collagen, which is the support structure that gives skin a firmer look. Prescription treatments and retinoid creams are also options.
- Know about skin treatments. Injections of Botox or Dysport can ease wrinkles in the upper third of your face. Chemical peels can remove fine lines and freckles and smoothen skin, especially around the eyes and mouth. Wrinkle fillers can plump up your skin and erase lines. Microdermabrasion and microneedling erase ultrafine lines, rejuvenates your complexion, and improves skin tone and color. Laser resurfacing can improve sun-damaged skin, scars, wrinkles, and other facial problems.
4 Natural Beauty Tips for Healthy Hair
There is no cure for gray hair. You can color it, though, if you want a younger look. Use these tips for healthy, youthful looking hair.
- Try highlighting. A few strands of color painted throughout your hair can subtly hide gray hairs, especially if your natural hair color is fairly light.
- Think carefully about full-blown color. Women who want a solid, darker color should realize it's going to require regular maintenance as the color grows out. If you don't want a salon appointment every six to eight weeks, solid colors are not for you.
- Try a new style. Wear your hair any way you want. Forget those old "rules" about not having long hair after a certain age. Your hairstyle should be what you prefer, no matter what your age.
- Fix thinning hair. A shorter cut gives more volume to thinning hair. Color is also good for giving volume to fine, limp hair. Sometimes the right product, like a volumizing shampoo, can solve the problem. Hair extensions can also help give a boost to thinning hair.
Your favorite natural beauty tip may be as simple as wearing a radiant smile. Or it may mean using a few products or treatments along the way. Whatever your choice, taking care of yourself is the most beautiful thing of all.