What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Symbyax to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary: NON-TERATOGENIC COMPLICATIONS (RESP, GI,CNS) WITH EXPOSURE DURING 3RD TRIMESTER
- Only When Necessary: RISK OF PERSISTENT PULM HTN AFTER 20 WKS; NEONATE BEHAVIOR SYNDR 3RD TRIMESTER
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST LOW LEVELS EXCRETED RESULTING IN INFANT SEDATION
- Precaution: CAN CAUSE COLIC, IRRITABILITY, FEEDING AND SLEEP DISORDERS, SLOW WEIGHT GAIN
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Higher risk of tardive dyskinesia in the elderly. Anticholinergic effects cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Increased risk of death in senile dementia. Maximum of 7.5mg/day. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Accumulation may be greater in the elderly due to long half-life. Start at lower doses and titrate upward more slowly. Endocrine-May exacerbate or cause SIADH or hyponatremia. Monitor sodium level closely when starting or changing dosage. Cardiovascular-Risk of QT prolongation. Caution with underlying cardiac condition, electrolyte abnormalities.
Giving Symbyax to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Safety and efficacy not established and not approved age < 7 years. May affect growth rate.
- management or monitoring precaution: Increased risk of sedation, hyperlipidemia and increased prolactin levels. Monitor weight and liver functions tests.
- Severe Precaution: Monitor growth and behavior. Possible aggression, mania, suicidal ideation. Reports of hyperkinesia, agitation, personality disorder.
- Severe Precaution: Safety and efficacy not established age less than 10 years for combination with fluoxetine.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.