Vaginal Foreign Body Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Traci C. Johnson, MD on January 16, 2020

Call 911 if:

  • The person shows signs of shock.

See Shock Treatment.

In an adult:

1. Remove Object, if Possible

  • A lost or forgotten tampon is the most common vaginal foreign body in women.
  • If the person can do so easily, have them remove the tampon or other foreign body.

2. When to See a Doctor

See a doctor immediately if:

  • The tampon or other foreign body cannot be removed easily.

3. Follow Up

If the person sees a doctor:

  • The doctor will remove the tampon or other foreign body by hand or using forceps.
  • If toxic shock syndrome is diagnosed, the person will likely be hospitalized.

In a child:

1. See a Doctor Immediately

  • Toilet paper is the most common vaginal foreign body in children.
  • Do not try to remove object because you could push it farther inside.

2. Follow Up

  • The doctor will remove the object and may use a topical antiseptic rinse.
  • Removal of a large or sharp foreign body may require sedation.
  • If you suspect the child has been sexually abused, tell the doctor.
WebMD Medical Reference



Military Obstetrics and Gynecology: "Vaginal Discharge."

Stricker, T. Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, April 2004.

KidsHealth: "Toxic Shock Syndrome."

National Center for Emergency Medicine Informatics: "Vaginal Foreign Bodies."

Texas Children's Pediatric Association Health Library: "Foreign Body in Vagina."

New York Presbyterian Hospital: "Toxic Shock Syndrome."

American Academy of Pediatrics: "Sexual Abuse."

Foreign Body in the Vagina Information from eMedicineHealth.

© 2020 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Click to view privacy policy and trust info