We love dilly beans, but using a sweet brine and dried chile peppers gives pickled green beans a unique twist.
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the green beans, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining beans.
- Drain the cooled beans and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1 to 3 chile peppers to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the beans completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.