Heart Failure News & Features
Automated External Defibrillators Save Lives, If You Use Them
- ‘Produce Prescriptions’ Improve Diet, Health Metrics: Study
August 30, 2023 — People who were given $63 per month to buy fruits and vegetables experienced health improvements and ate more produce, researchers from Tufts University in Boston report.
- Weight Loss Drug Wegovy Also Works Against Heart Failure: Study
August 25, 2023 — The weight loss drug Wegovy is good for people with obesity who also have the most common form of heart failure, according to a study published Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine.
- Study: Black Americans in Redlining Areas Have Greater Heart Risks
July 18, 2023 — Black people in areas historically affected by redlining face a greater risk of heart failure than those in other areas, according to new research.
- Your Family History and Heart Failure Risk
How to ask the important questions to learn your risk if heart failure runs in your family.
- Including More People of Color in Heart Failure Research
The clinical trials used to develop new heart failure treatments aren't diverse enough. What researchers, the government, and you can do to make these studies more inclusive.
- Heart Failure Risk: Where You Live, What You Look Like, and Where You Come From
Heart failure hits Black and Hispanic communities hardest. Here’s why -- and the changes that can help.
- Equal Access to Heart Failure Treatment for All
Treatments for heart failure can ease your symptoms and help you live longer. But Black and Hispanic people with the disease may not have equal access.
- Spotlight On: Heart Failure
Treatment for heart failure is improving as researchers develop new drugs and devices to strengthen the heart, and sometimes reverse damage. Learn more.
- How Tech Changed My Life With Heart Failure
Diagnosed with heart failure at just 26 years old, Brittany Clayborne relied on electronics and technology to keep her heart pumping.
- What I’ve Learned From My Patients About the Challenges of Heart Failure
What I’ve learned from my patients about the challenges of heart failure. A cardiologist speaks out.
- Caring For Your Mental Health Along With Heart Failure
To take good care of your heart, you need to be mindful of your mood, too. Here are the keys to staying mentally healthy when you have heart failure.
- Build Your Heart Failure Care Team
Heart failure is complex. Learn how to build a winning team of health professionals to get the care you deserve.
- Jenna Bell’s Heart Failed at 23
Jenna Bell went into heart failure when she was only 23 years old. She had no family history or risk factors. Read her story.
- Financial Planning for Heart Failure
There are many potential costs when you have heart failure. Read about some factors to consider when you’re planning for the future.
- Heart Failure: How Race Plays a Role
Get the facts on how and why heart failure affects people of color.
- Coming to Terms With Chronic Heart Failure
How one person went from feeling shocked about a heart failure diagnosis to accepting life with chronic heart failure.
- Finding Support for Chronic Heart Failure
Social and emotional support is critical to managing heart failure. Find out how to get the care you need.
- Managing Heart Failure With Other Conditions
Heart failure with other conditions: How one person manages heart failure, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- The Emotional Impact of Heart Failure
Living with heart failure can trigger stress, depression, and anxiety. Here are ways to manage.
- What to Expect When Living With Heart Failure
Breathlessness, fatigue, and trouble sleeping are some of the more common symptoms. Here’s what to look out for.
- What I Wish I'd Known
Kim Lewis was given 5 years to live after her heat failure led to a coma. However, after two decades, she's still here and sharing the ways she turned her health around.
- Living with Heart Failure in a Post-COVID World
How one woman adjusted to life with heart failure during COVID, and learned to thrive.
- What People Don’t Understand About Heart Failure
An advocate for those with heart failure explains several common misconceptions about the condition.
- Lifestyle Changes I Had to Make With Chronic Heart Failure
A diagnosis of chronic heart failure means both big and small adjustments in your lifestyle. Learn how one man has adapted and stays active with CHF.
- Signs That Chronic Heart Failure Is Getting Worse
When your heart can’t pump blood efficiently, it affects every part of your body in ways you may not expect. Know the signs of worsening heart failure.
- Staying Active With Advancing Heart Failure
Yes, you can – and should -- exercise with chronic heart failure. A doctor explains how to do it safely and start feeling better.
- What Does Ejection Fraction Have to Do With Heart Failure?
If you have cardiac issues, ejection fraction is an important percentage to know. Learn what it means and what it tells you about the health of your heart.
- Treatment Options When Heart Failure Worsens
You and your care team have more options than ever for treating heart failure. Learn how the breakthroughs in this field of medicine can help you.
- Can a Wellness App Help People With Heart Failure?
Mobile apps can make it easier to balance everything you need to manage heart failure.
- Learn From Others to Help Manage Your Heart Failure
By tapping more support, people with heart failure can learn how to feel their best and help motivate each other.
- Ways to Maximize Your Lifespan With Heart Failure
With better medication and care, doctors are helping people with heart failure improve the quality and length of their lives.
- How My Life’s Changed Since a Heart Failure Diagnosis
Jang Jaswal had heart failure, kidney failure, and a month to live. Today, he walks 4 miles a day. Here’s the story of who he was and how he treats his body now.
- How Marijuana Affects Heart Failure
If you have heart failure and you smoke or eat marijuana, learn more about how the drug might affect your condition.
- What It’s Like to Live With Heart Failure
Ten years ago, James Young II turned his heart failure into an opportunity. Before could figure out why he was eating so badly, he had to figure out what was eating him.
- How Alcohol Affects Heart Failure
If you have heart failure and drink beer, wine, or liquor, here’s what to know about how it might affect your condition.
- The Best Exercises for Heart Failure
Activity may be just what the doctor ordered for your heart failure. Here are some of the best exercises to keep your ticker working like clockwork.
- Foods to Avoid With Congestive Heart Failure
By making a few dietary changes and learning to short-circuit some eating habits, people with heart failure may feel better and ease uncomfortable swelling.
- CBD Oil and Heart Failure
CBD oil is made from cannabis plants but won’t make you high. Still, this natural supplement could interact with some heart medicines. Find out what you need to know before you try CBD oil for heart failure.
- Advances in Heart Failure: What’s on the Horizon?
Abbas Bitar, MD, takes you on a tour of the the modern treatment methods available for heart failure that go far beyond just medicine.
- Taking Care of My Heart Is Top Priority
Glenda Sexauer had always been healthy, but at 46 she was diagnosed with heart failure. A commitment to medication, diet, and exercise helped her beat the odds.
- A Cardiologist’s Perspective: From Diagnosis to Treatment
According to Joseph Carrozza, MD, a diagnosis of heart failure means something much different today than it did even a few years ago, as treatments continue to become more effective.
- A Day in the Life of My Heart Failure
Heart failure has slowed Aimee Rodriguez Zepeda down, but it hasn’t stopped her. Here’s how she manages the condition every day.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: Why It Happens
Why do some people have sudden cardiac arrest? What should you do if it happens?
- Heart-Failure Treatment by Device
Technological breakthroughs are changing the course of heart-failure treatment -- but doubts remain about how many people will benefit in the near future.